February 3rd, 2012

Sneak peek at this Sunday's show

By Cassie Spodak, CNN

Mitt Romney’s decisive win in the Florida Republican primaries set the stage in political coverage this week – with Romney’s latest gaffe setting off a firestorm, erroneous rumors of a Newt Gingrich endorsement from the Donald, and pundits questioning Gingrich’s staying power.  Politics also entered the non-profit world after the Susan G. Komen Foundation reversed a decision to partially cut off funding for Planned Parenthood.

We also saw headlines from the tech sector, with Facebook’s stock offering expected to value the company at $75 billion to $100 billion and President Obama having some fun with voters’ questions on Google +.

POLITICO’s Jonathan Martin, Roll Call’s Christina Bellatoni and The New York Times’ Michael Shear will be on the show to talk about political coverage.

The Daily Beast’s Michelle Cottle and The Daily Caller’s political reporter Matt Lewis will discuss the fallout over the Susan G. Komen Foundation and Gingrich’s latest media coverage.

Finance writer for Reuters Felix Salmon and University of Maryland professor of media entrepreneurship Mark Potts will discuss Facebook’s new role in the world in the journalism.

This Sunday at 11a.m. EST on CNN.

Posted by
Filed under: Reliable Sources • Sneak Peek
  1. Julia

Jamie,Thank you for writing this. You give a good lglacenhe to ministers to care for women who have been abused, and for poor women in general. Thank you for always being vigilant in standing up for women. You always set a meaningful example, both in word and action. I am grateful.I'd like to offer a few thoughts, if I may: 1. Planned Parenthood is not just for poor women; it is for all women, as well as men. It is for anyone who wants quality, affordable, respectful healthcare. I choose to use Planned Parenthood because I love the quality, respectful healthcare I receive there. 2. Pastoral care must be offered to abusers as well. 3. You aptly mention that abuse can occur "physically, sexually, or emotionally"; I'd like to add spiritually and psychologically to that list as well. 4. We must be aware that abuse is not only toward women (even though that is what your post is about); abuse can be toward men and children. It can be toward the trans community (and within the trans community). It can occur in the ways we treat immigrants, people of other religions, people of other sexualities, or people of other races. Thanks again for writing this post. And thanks for letting me offer my initial thoughts.Peace,Erin

March 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • Tom

something back to me like oh she has been in bed all day, I would say well it must have been someone that lokeod a lot like her and play it off as a mistake.Before I even started taking the health classes and I took CPR, the instructor works at the hospital and she said if you see a person you are not familiar with, wait for them to say hi first and don't bring up anything from office visits because for one, it could be the wrong person and two, if you are in a public area other people can hear and that is breaking HIPPA. I would never get myself into that situation because I could lose my job.

June 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  2. sue

Matt Lewis is absolutely wrong when he says that it is only the "elites" in New York who were dismayed by Komen's defunding of Planned Parenthood. I had friends all over this country, both men and women, who were angry and vowed to withdraw all support from the Komen foundation. The people, using social networking sites, pressured Komen, not the media. The media, in my experience, was always a step behind.

February 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
  3. Bill

PLANNED PARENTHOOD DOES NOT PROVIDE MAMMOGRAMS !!! – PERIOD

NOT NOW – NOT EVER

They might be able tell women where they can get a mammogram
    but they, Planned Parenthood, does not provide them and never has.

It would be nice if your liberal female pundits and talking heads did not lie about this.

AND – when they do make this claim, YOU should correct them.

February 5, 2012 at 11:51 am | Reply
  4. Robert

Keep trying Howie! You will get them to blame the media for Komen's stupidity. And why didn't you correct your guest when he said 50% of women are Pro-life? 100% of women are Pro-life! Do you think 50% of women want abortions? Are you aware availability is the law of the land? What is your position on Roe v. Wade? Your wife's? You sound more like you wanted Komen to stop funding PP than they reversed. It was all over money. If 50% of women are Pro-life then 50% could have raced and funded Komen. That is not the case. Money trumped principle. It always does in politics.

February 5, 2012 at 11:40 am | Reply
  5. Emily Davidson

You guys are so missing the point today...... the media did NOT broadcast or pick up on this until hundreds of thousands of people, the majority women, myself included, professed outrage in social media and the internet. When Facebook and Twitter were covered up with the protests and outrage, only THEN did the media pick up on it. And she is so bleeping RIGHT....the issue is breast screening needs to be available for ALL women. The issue and what was talked about had absolutely NOTHING to do with abortion. You are the ones hammering that issue. What it pointed out to many of us was the ultra-conservative agenda of the Komen Foundation and if you will just take a peek on Facebook you will find that thousands and thousands of us will Never send another dime to Komen...and are shifting it to Planned Parenthood because their mission is NOT political but more about taking care of the community that cannot afford care.

February 5, 2012 at 11:39 am | Reply
    • Dr. Ron Dickinson

I think there is a valid issue in your reply that is more general than this one story....that is....you highlight what could be interpreted as slanting every story to provoke more audience as opposed to substance and the facts of the story. The hypocracy you point out seems to support the idea that media has a bias....toward provoking its audience numbers over any other ethic in journalism.

February 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  6. Dr. Ron Dickinson

I am so fed up with the profound absence of historical reference omitted in this show. There is no depth of understanding of any substantive issues, they have no sense of history....especially relevant when discussing Republican attitudes toward the poor, taxation, and business decisions. There is such a need for a sense of history, some basic factual background to make CNN political coverage OF VALUE. It is simply one of the worst things ever done to require 'balanced' representation from ONLY TWO perspectives neither of which is interested in knowledge, history or even REASON.

I remember when Jack Kennedy ran for office and a sense history was considered vitally imporant. Abraham Lincoln would engage audiences for over 2 hrs. at an appearance with talks that had great depth of understanding, and people still knew it was their responsibility under Jeffersonian democratic ideals to become KNOWLEDGEABLE about the political issues. There is no way Lincoln or Jefferson would approve of contemporary media. It is simply beyond me why you think you perform any kind of public service as described in your broadcast licenses without factual and historical background. I find it completely infuriating that your 'pundits' dismiss our vitally important and highly relevant national history as (irrelevant) 'context'.

February 5, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply
  7. Paul Lobert

With regard to Trump's "Titanic" announcement.

I would question if there is anything that Trump says that could appropriately described as "Titanic"; Trite, Trivial, Tawdry, Tasteless maybe, but never Titanic.

February 5, 2012 at 11:20 am | Reply
  8. zb

Always love your show.

Let me remind your panel that Romney's comments about the poor were not taken out of the broader context. Romney specifically wants to cut taxes for the wealthy and cut spending for everything else. His words and his actions speak loud and clear that all he cares about is the wealthy.

February 5, 2012 at 11:08 am | Reply