February 10th, 2012

Sneak peek at this Sunday's show

By Cassie Spodak, CNN

This week brought several stories that seemed to sneak up on the press. Republican Presidential candidate Rick Santorum was written off by the press only to win primaries in Colorado, Missouri and Minnesota. We’ll be joined by Washington Bureau chief of the Chicago Sun Times Lynn Sweet, radio show host Bill Press, and National Review columnist Jim Geraghty to talk about Santorum’s new surge as well as President Obama’s new stance on SuperPACs.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced exemptions for a new health care mandate for contraception back on January 20th – so why is it suddenly getting so much media attention? The Huffington Post’s Lauren Ashburn and Professor of Media and Public Affairs at George Washington University Frank Sesno will discuss the heightened coverage as well as CNN Contributor Roland Martin’s controversial tweets and subsequent suspension.

Amy Argetsinger, columnist for The Washington Post, will also be on to discuss the media attention over President John F. Kennedy’s old intern. The affair was confirmed back in 2003 and happened half a century ago, does it deserve so much attention?

This Sunday at 11a.m. EST on CNN.

Posted by
Filed under: Reliable Sources • Sneak Peek
  1. Donna

The actual Honua Kai Resort & Health spa is the tuapicalrr #1 holiday resort about N . Boasts along with the #2 holiday resort its Boasts : simply at the rear of several Months within Southern Maui that may cost you four times all the for you to hire and it is 1 / 3 the size and style. The Honua Kai may be the most recent holiday resort on Maui and it is 35 decades modern compared to any vacation resort upon Northern Boasts. The Honua Kai is a condo-hotel each property is actually privately operated then when the property owner is just not presently there the tuapicalrr rental property is placed into the hire pool area. Out of all the accommodations on Boasts the Honua Kai is often a accurate residence that is certainly 5-star as well as on Ka'anapali Beach front which is the #1 seaside within Offers. There is often a website that adopts fantastic detail regarding the Honua Kai *

April 7, 2012 at 12:24 am | Reply
  2. Matt

The optimist in me thinks the press consciously decided not to initially report on the contraception issue, and decided instead to report on more substantive issues (such as unemployment) out of a sense of altruism. Rick Santorum, of course, didn't get the message.
    P.S. Can you examine Wolf Blitzer and John King's use of verbs. I'm tired of hearing a candidate say "I respectfully disagree with my colleague", and having it translated as "Candidate X 'smacked down' or 'slammed' Candidate Y". I realize you guys have to sell ads, but let's be real.

February 13, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
  3. Zorina

Lauren Ashburn, Professor of Media and Public Affairs at George Washington University is not worth the salary paid to her at GWU. She lacks the clarity on subjects she obviously does not have real personal knowledge about. Ms. Ashburn did equate the rape of young children and the impregnating of young girls by Catholic priests and the cover up of it by the Catholic Church hierarchy and women’s right to birth control as the same when commenting on the Catholic Church responses. Apparently, Ms. Ashburn felt that the Catholic Church hierarchy should have been very vocal against the victims, citizens and press calling for their heads.

First, for disclosure purposes I worked in a law firm in Los Angeles who brought civil action against the Catholic Church. I was a devout Catholic. I have personal knowledge of the rape of young children and the impregnating of young girls by Catholic priests since I worked on the very first case brought in California. I know that the Catholic Church hierarchy did everything possible to hide and cover up all the filth that was taking place in their church, by refusing to submit to the discovery process.

Now to address the Catholic Church hierarchy responses (or lack thereof), to the rape of young children, and the impregnating of young girls, perpetrated by their own priests. Yes Ms. Ashburn, it suited the Catholic Church hierarchy well to keep quiet. They kept so quiet that victims were forced to file motions upon motions to have the Court continuously rule against the Catholic Church hierarchy and compel them to produce documents and produce their priests for depositions. NOT ONE WORD FROM ALL THESES HYPOCRITES AND FACILITATORS OF RAPE.

However, now the Catholic Church hierarchy has suddenly found their voice and each and everyone of the Catholic Church hierarchy who chose to keep quite on the rape of young children and the impregnating of young girls, is now raising their voice against a woman’s right to use birth control. All of a sudden, the Catholic Church hierarchy found god and principle. Where were these priests when the rape and impregnation was going on? I am happy to say I no longer attend my Church and no longer pledge to the church. I remember coming home from work and wanting to have hot showers hoping somehow I can was away all the filth and dirt that I had to review from discovery. YES, THE CALTHOLIC CHURCH HIERARACHY FOUND THEIR VOICES BUT FOR THE WRONG REASON. MAY THEY ALL GO TO HELL.

February 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Reply
  4. james skoutelas

I consider myself a conservative, but I enjoy reliable sources and feel Howard Kurtz does a fine job of being fair on every topic. That's what I appreciate the most about him.

February 12, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  5. Fatima

I find the Reliable Sources host's question about whether the heavy coverage of Whitney Houston's death is warranted a curious question to ask given her status in American pop culture. Did he ask the same question about the coverage of Amy Winehouse's tragic death? Please give Whitney the credit she is due, whatever her flaws may have been towards the end of her life. She was a great talent, an international star, and her music is integrally woven into the fabric of the soundtrack of our lives. Yes, Mr. Kurtz, Whitney's death is worthy of the coverage it is getting, and then some.

February 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  6. Hill

This extreme insensitivity about Whitney Houston has me turning the channel. Turning you off, and not back on CNN until someone else comes on.....NEXT......What makes decent journalist GREAT is not only the ability to report the news, but to discern sensitivity of the world around them..I would NEVER turn to you to hear about anything significant that is happening, as it is clear that you bring your own ignorance to the news table with you.

February 12, 2012 at 11:35 am | Reply
  7. Fred ColbyI know what it's been like to

Roland Martin, as much as I enjoy him, sadly crossed the line. As a retired journalist I know what it's like to "bite my tongue" on public comments. They do reflect on the person and the employer regardless of the medium used. But is this a terminal offense? No.

February 12, 2012 at 11:32 am | Reply
  8. Bill

Lauren is getting harder and harder to listen to.

February 12, 2012 at 11:31 am | Reply
    • Lilia

5. Other world wide web masters can renript your articles or blog posts and use them on their online pages, nonetheless they should always ask for your personal permission to renript. They must also retain your useful resource box intact and using your URL that goes considering the report. This system will expand backlinks for your personal site and in addition you are likely to achieve a rise in exposure in the online.

July 1, 2012 at 3:53 am | Reply
  9. tim

omg lauren asburn was sooooooooooooooooo annoying

February 12, 2012 at 11:17 am | Reply
  10. Scott

Any plans to discuss the Roland Martin issue?

February 11, 2012 at 10:40 am | Reply
    • Rahul

I in addition to my frineds have been reading the great helpful tips found on your web blog while instantly I had an awful suspicion I never expressed respect to the web blog owner for those secrets. All the women had been very interested to read through them and have undoubtedly been enjoying them. Appreciation for being so thoughtful as well as for having varieties of superior things most people are really wanting to know about. My very own honest apologies for not expressing appreciation to earlier.

July 1, 2012 at 12:55 am | Reply