February 12th, 2012

Media Miss Catholic Outrage

Lauren Ashburn, Frank Sesno and Howard Kurtz compare the media's coverage of the mandated contraception controversy to the Komen-Planned Parenthood brouhaha.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Reliable Sources • Religion
  1. Eric Finley

This discussion was a missed opportunity. Why no mention of the study showing that men have dominated the cable news discussion of this issue over the past week? Three mornings this week I awoke to turn on Morning Jo and see Mika sitting there with four men talking about women's rights and heath issues. That's a reality your program should be analyzing. There was also no mention of the orchestrated campaign by the Catholic Bishops within their dioceses and in the media to make this into to an issue of "religious freedom" rather than employer responsibility in a homogenous society. Ms. Ashburn was a waste of time. Perhaps two women, the insightful Mr. Sesno and Mr. Kurtz would have at least balanced the visuals better especially conisdering cable news' aforementioned tendency when discussing this issue which directly effects women's lives and health. Howie, you should know better.

February 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Reply
    • Ellen Northy

You are right. It is mostly men defending this issue as “religious freedom”. And how far do we take this alleged “religious freedom”? Should an employer who's a Jehovah’s Witness be allowed to refuse coverage of anything to do with blood transfusions to his or her employees? Should an employer who belongs to the Church of Scientology be able to deny coverage for psychiatry, or psychiatric drugs, because they don’t believe they work?
      What the Catholic Church is asking for, as an employer, is the power to deny you coverage it doesn’t approve of, based on its religious beliefs. If the government allows that to happen, that action will actually violate your right to religious freedom, because it will essentially be the federal government allowing an employer’s religion to dictate to you what your health insurance will cover and what it won’t.

February 13, 2012 at 9:38 am | Reply
  2. Clay

Yet again, liberal media bias rears it's ugly head. The media were quick to pounce on an issue that outraged liberals (Komen/Planned Parenthood story). But they are s-l-o-w to pick up on a story that outraged many Roman Catholics.

February 12, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Reply
    • Cristian

Shellstar,Thanks for those words of support and eraouncgement; good to know people are listening/reading and getting value of the stuff we and others are producing.I've learnt a lot about Facebook and Twitter in the last year or so from a Catholic perpsective and learnt A LOT about corporate FB/Twitter in the past month or so. From the Catholic stuff, I've been amazed how civil it has been on Facebook. I had some reservations about how respectful people would be, especially when working with people like bishops, but it's been a pleasant surprise.Just curious, Shellstar, are you writing from NZ or are you based overseas? I only ask because we do get a lot of traffic from around the world to our projects. I'm really wondering if this Facebookphobia extends internationally as well.

March 3, 2012 at 12:34 am | Reply
  3. Ellen Northy

I can’t believe that so many people do not see this as an issue of religion freedom for women!!!! If 98% of Catholic women don’t believe this is something they should follow why should this decision of Catholic Church, made up of celibate men, be forced on all women who work for any Catholic institution? I respect the decision of every woman who decides to use only natural birth control because that is your choice.

I am one of the 98% of Catholic women that used artificial birth control and I have never had a twinge of guilt about using it. When I got married in the Catholic Church in 1976 my priest (at a college campus) told me the churches teachings on birth control and then told me what kind of birth control I used was up to my own conscience. Choice in our religious beliefs is really the issue. The Catholic Church has been wrong before, and many people believe they are wrong on this issue. The church will not convince me that I am wrong or sinful in my decision and in my opinion they need to concentrate on more important issues.

February 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Reply
    • Rini

to this, Nick Halstead from Tweetmeme investigated limsehf. Evidently, he was not happy with what he found. Nick accused Retweet.com of directly copying Tweetmeme's code, and indicated that he was

March 3, 2012 at 8:25 am | Reply
  4. GM

I I watched this segment and found Ms. Ashburn's attempt to somehow conflate this story with that of the Vatican's alleged "victimization" by the media over never-ending scandals surrounding institutionalized pedophilia absolutely bizarre.

February 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Reply
    • Tina

3 rings for elven kings7 for dwarf lords (in their halls of stone) 9 for mortal men (doomed to die)1 ring to bind them

March 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Reply