March 4th, 2012

Rush's "Slut" Attack Sparks Furor

Dana Milbank, Julie Mason, David Frum and Howard Kurtz discuss the coverage of Rush Limbaugh's attack on Georgetown Law Student Sandra Fluke and her advocacy of contraception.

Filed under: Media • Rush Limbaugh • Sexism
  1. mobile multiplayer games

I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any
    interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me.
    Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
    the net will be much more useful than ever before.

April 11, 2014 at 7:41 am | Reply
  2. hotels reservation

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really realize what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =). We will have a hyperlink change agreement between us

September 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  3. manage anger

I used to be suggested this web site by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this submit is written by means of him as nobody else understand such precise about my trouble. You are amazing! Thank you!

September 9, 2012 at 5:50 am | Reply
  4. Scentsy,Scentsy Candles,Scentsy Wickless Candles,Buy Scentsy,Buy Scentsy Products,Buy Scentsy Products Online,Buy Scentsy Candles,Buy Scentsy Wickless Candles,Buy Scentsy Online,Buy Scentsy Candles Online,Shop for Scentsy,Shop for Scentsy Products,Shop fo

Hello there, I recently became aware of your website thru Bing, and found that it is truly informative. I will appreciate when you continue this topic this in the future. Lots of other folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

April 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  5. pat k.

just one more reason for me to scratch my head and wonder why anyone listens to R.L. at all. Only heard about the issue from Post. That kind of comment from him doesn't surprise me, but does makes my blood boil. He should think back on his own issues and not judge anyone.....just sayin...

March 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  6. ulyssesmsu

This is so incredibly dishonest. Fluke isn't "advocating contraception." She's advocating that other people PAY for her contraception. Of course, I don;t know why I expect you guys to deal with this issue honestly when you never deal with any other issue honestly. If you can't win the argument, then just change the facts, eh?

March 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  7. thebewilderness

You are exactly right, Howard, there is a double standard and you just demonstrated it. The lefty Schultz called a woman a name and promptly apologized. Limbaugh ranted and lied for three days about this woman and called her a number of names among other horrible things. He then expanded it to any and all women who use birth control. He repeatedly lied about what she said. When he started to lose advertisers he posted a statement. Not an apology. A statement.
    One of these things is not like the other.

March 5, 2012 at 12:03 am | Reply
    • Auth

Diane, Rush has a great deal of influence in Conservative pctilios. Anyone who has 30 million Conservative listeners potential voters listening to him 15 hours per week is influential. No one else, on the right or the left, has that much dedicated attention.

April 5, 2012 at 7:16 am | Reply
  8. Scott

John and Carol both stole my thunder, and I thank them for it. Seriously, Howard, Your sense of fairness seems to be leaving you. For crying out loud, you have referred to Bill Maher's hate-filled comments as "Iconoclastic". I looked up the dictionary, hoping that the word was synonomous with "disgusting". It was not. Don't you think that the Obama super PAC should consider returning that $1 million of sewage money that Maher donated?

I echo John's suggestion that people read Kirsten Powers' excellent article in the Daily Beast. You've heard of that website, haven't you, Howard?

March 4, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Reply
  9. John Williams

My understanding of your CNN show is that it is supposed to focus most strongly upon _journalists_ and _news_ organizations. So why did you ignore this week's antics by journalists Matt Taibbi & David Frum when they gleefully and quite harshly danced on the grave of Breitbart just hours after his death announcement? Regarding your lengthy discussion of Limbaugh's bad in calling Fluke a "slut," Frum essentially did so regarding Palin–only using less crude words on the esteemed PBS Newshour. Why have you never called him on that? Why have you never called Maher out on using the c* & t* words to desribe Palin?

The argument that Fluke is not a public figure does not hold up, as Fluke made the decision to put herself on the national stage in a very public fashion. Joe the Plumber did not seek out the national stage at the beginning, yet he was immediately attacked as a public figure for the transgression of making Obama look bad.

By my count on my screen, you devoted a full 4 1/2 pages to discussing Rush, 2 1/2 pages to discussing Fox News handling of the Limbaugh matter & Jon Stewart's criticism of Fox. Only 2 pages to discussing journalists moving the goalposts after Romney's MI win. ZERO words to discussing the journalistic misdeeds this week of Taibbi & Frum. And ZERO words in this and all previous shows to discussing past over-the-top rhetoric of Taibbi, Frum, & Maher. Please don't argue that the ratios are distorted this week with the truncated show. You knew of the interruption before the show and had to have had a rough idea of how much of the show you'd lose.

The sad thing is that compared to most major-leage journalists, you are extraordinarily fair to all sides.

Everyone one should read the recent article by fellow Daily Beast contributor Kirsten Powers: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/04/rush-limbaugh-s-apology-liberal-men-need-to-follow-suit.html

March 4, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • Peggy

Amen John,, Amen!!!!

March 11, 2012 at 11:47 am | Reply
  10. StewartIII

NewsBusters: 'Conservative' CNN Analyst Frum Calls for Limbaugh to Send Fluke One of His Sex Tapes

March 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  11. carolmr

Why doesn't the same language from liberal men spark furor? Why can Bill Maher call Sarah Palin 4-letter names yet the media remain silent? Why has Maher been all over CNN and MSNBC these past few weeks so he can give us his political opinions? Why can Chris Matthews call Michele Bachmann a balloon head and ask whether Sarah Palin is even capable of thinking? Why does he still have a show? Why doesn't Howie have the courage to call these liberal men out on their sexist language?

March 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Reply
    • Faisal

he's generally not a Keynesian epcxet of course when he is one. Joking aside, to which traditional social values and natural law do you refer? Just wondering since it seems you're no post-modern relativist.After many years of listening regularly to CFRA and calling myself a conservative, I now consider myself a recovering-conservative'. I realized a few years ago that no professing conservative had been able to articulate an objective answer to the question What is the role of civil government? As a Christian I also want to see the civil government limited to it's proper role as the ministry of justice, but like you say it's not enough to believe in these principals. I also think it's important to *account* for these principals epistemologically to properly defend them. Otherwise, it just amounts to subjective opinion.Love your commentary, wit, and good humour. Keep up the great work!

April 4, 2012 at 1:11 am | Reply
  12. Don Carr

Wonder if Rush really knew what he was saying when he said: "In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone's bedroom, nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a presidential level."

March 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
    • Vasily

her company was nkithing of opening medical clinics in Costa Rica and offering insurance for them, including plane fare. Rush said it sounded like a good idea and he'd look into it if the healthcare bill passed. He did not say he was moving to Costa Rica. (So how come Alec Baldwin (Father of the Year) never left the country?4. David Frum is entitled to his opinion, even if it's wrong.5. Now that's funny!I guess we disagree on this issue…:)

April 5, 2012 at 3:52 am | Reply
    • Shreya

16a13835133Hey! I just came upon this site today while looking up for some dneffreit fitness terms in yahoo. Stuck around a little to check things out and read a few of your articlese280a6 enjoyable stuff. Ie28099m going to be sure to come back later on some time and catch up. 184

April 7, 2012 at 3:32 am | Reply
  13. Dr. Syn

One comparison I have yet to see: Rush vs. Imus. When Imus made his racist gaffe, he was a pariah, pulled from MSNBC, lost his radio show for a time, etc.

March 4, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
    • andri

Louie-Louie, GOOD Comment, good observations... America is in a world of hurt... just resnfiug to defend or HAVE a southern border is a proof of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome on a national scale... THINK ABOUT IT! Refusal to defend, acquired not imposed, symptoms not causes...WE must assume responsibility for our actions, Louie, for America!That's why empty suits, of Caucasian OR Arab-Kenyan descent can NOT answer our questions, meet our needs!Sheesh! and people wonder why I'm a Baha'i...

April 6, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Reply