March 23rd, 2012

Sneak peek at this Sunday's show

By Pallavi Reddy, CNN

It’s been weeks since Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in Sanford, Florida. But over the past week the story has been played out on all the cable news and national news broadcasts. We’ll have Eric Deggans, Tampa Bay Times, Lauren Ashburn, founder of Daily-Download.com,  and Derek McGinty, anchor for WUSA, on to discuss what makes a local story get to the national arena.

Another big headline of the week was a Mitt Romney adviser’s comments comparing the presidential hopeful to an Etch A Sketch. Author of the new book “Showdown,” David Corn, and Glenn Beck TV’s Amy Holmes join us to talk about that and the latest news in politics.

And this week, C-SPAN founder and CEO Brian Lamb announced that he would be stepping down. We’ll talk to the man who brought Congress to cable.

This Sunday at 11 a.m. EST on CNN.

Posted by
Filed under: Blog • Sneak Peek
  1. Yuyun

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written ircatle. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. Ill certainly return.

April 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  2. thefinancialbrand

I found this week's episode extremely disappointing. I do not watch Reliable Sources to hear a bunch of pundits spout their perspective on the week's news — that's what all those other Sunday morning talk shows are for. Questions posed to guests like, "What do you make of this story?" are lame. Everyone has an opinion... so what? Where's the analysis through the lens of journalism?

Asking a question about Trayvon Martin's shooting like "Why did it take the national media two weeks to pick this story up?" presumes the national media should have picked it up sooner. The biased position inherent in this perspective is precisely what Reliable Sources is supposed to be attacking, not perpetuating. A better, more fair question would be, "Why did the news media decide to pick this story up two weeks after the fact?" A more accurate answer probably would have been that news outlets saw the issue was gaining traction ("going viral," as it's called) and decided it was escalating to "newsworthy" status. Or the show could have explored how the media exploits/seeks out racially-charged stories. Instead what viewers got was quasi-related opinions about discrimination, racial bias/stereotypes and the law.

What is most frustrating about Howard's kickoff question ("Why did it take the national media two weeks to pick this story up?") is that there are THOUSANDS of stories the national news media doesn't ever cover. Some are so significant, it's simply unfathomable. Why does one story get picked up and others don't? Great question... why don't you try tackling that some week?

The Trayvon Martin story was followed by a piece on Etch-a-Sketch. Again, same criticisms. The focus during the show wasn't how the media handled the angle. It was all about the politics and gamesmanship of elections. The world doesn't need yet another show that explores politics, PR and spin. The Etch-a-Sketch story was a good gimmick hatched by spin meisters; smart viewers already understand this, so you didn't need to beat the issue to death for 10 minutes. Boorrrring. There was absolutely nothing new or insightful from this week's guests on this subject, and certainly nothing related to the media (besides perhaps the observation that an Etch-a-Sketch makes a good prop).

Reliable Sources is the only mainstream show purportedly dedicated to holding the media accountable and analyzing their decisions. There is a role for such a show in our society, and (I believe) a growing interest in such subjects among the general public. Please, (1) stick with the theme of your show — how and why the media handles stories the way it does — or (2) change the name/focus. The alternative is (3) that I stop watching.

March 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
    • Darwin

*I must say, as a lot as I enjoyed rdeniag what you had to say, I couldnt help but lose interest after a while. Its as if you had a wonderful grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to include your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from far more than one angle. Or maybe you shouldnt generalise so considerably. Its better if you think about what others may have to say instead of just going for a gut reaction to the subject. Think about adjusting your own believed process and giving others who may read this the benefit of the doubt.

April 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Reply
    • Sana

16a1543511cI wish more guys would write posts like this that are actually inieresttng to read and not boring like many others. With all the fluff floating around on the web, it is rare to read a blog like yours instead.keep updating your blog. thx! 195

April 7, 2012 at 4:41 am | Reply
      • Kris

Debarati Banerjee Posted on wow thanks for shriang this secret of a true genius! He was so simple a man..so good at heart..no comparisons with him can be justifiable..simply a gem of a person!

September 9, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  3. Pamela J Arquette

No hoodies? New dress code? I can't wear a hat or scarf at work unless my religion demands it. there is a sign on my bank that says remove sunglasses and hats for everyone's safety. Now don't wear hoodies? Why?

My clothing nor anyone else s is going to stop someone from committing a crime nor prevent me from being shot by someone who does not like how I looked no matter what I am wearing.

March 25, 2012 at 11:44 am | Reply
    • tim daniels

i am constantly amazed by those people who dress to project an image and then get bent out of shape when people respond to that very image. It's like the guy or girl who's all pierced and tatted up shouting at people, "What're you looking at?". The reality of this whole hoodie discussion is that even african americans clutch their purses closer and switch their personal radar to a higher setting based upon the "image" of those around them...but of course, that's just racism, right?

March 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Reply
      • Iwata

I wish to show my appreciation to this trewir just for rescuing me from such a instance. As a result of exploring throughout the internet and getting proposals which were not productive, I believed my life was gone. Being alive without the presence of strategies to the problems you've fixed all through this write-up is a crucial case, as well as the ones which might have negatively affected my entire career if I hadn't discovered your website. Your own personal expertise and kindness in maneuvering all the things was very useful. I don't know what I would have done if I had not discovered such a solution like this. It's possible to now relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for your impressive and results-oriented help. I will not be reluctant to endorse your blog to any individual who wants and needs guidelines about this subject matter.

April 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  4. Thordunk

In the world's most powerful and talented country you find that you have to use the same talking heads as every other news outlet? Throw out the Rolodex.

March 25, 2012 at 11:39 am | Reply
    • Gizem

说:I’d have to make a deal with you on this. Which is not something I ulausly do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

April 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Reply
  5. SteveD

Thank you Howard for that portion of a sentence in describing the media in grabbing the quick, short phrases...instead of reporting the true and deep down issues...imho a large part of the televised media should be FIRED!...yes FIRED.

March 25, 2012 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • Yoffay

Posted on Thanks so much for this post. As a writer, my narutal inclination is to stay in my cave and write my books. Marketing is hard for me, but your tips are things that I can do!Katherine KaneTraining The City Dog(available on Amazon)

September 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Reply
  6. rob

You have to be kidding! The reason this has become a national issue is because CNN and MSNBC have been CONSTANTLY talking about this. You have created a racial issue. Not only have you been promoting this story CREATING a national issue out of what is a purely a local issue. Now you have many many commenting (Al Sharpon, etc.) who have made careers out of crying race anytime something happens to a African-American. Why are you not reporting the numerous shootings of innocents in area like North Milwaukee, South Chicago and other crime ridden areas?Your coverage of this has been so biased that you have this man convicted before he has been charged let alone had a trial. With your encouragement we now have lynch mobs in Sanford–ridiculous. This is just another in a LONG line of stories where the news media has really gone about creating much of the news rather than simply reporting the KNOWN facts and leaving it at that. The news reporting in this country rather than protecting our civil liberties, now are complicit in violation of those civil liberties for their own selfish good. We really need to strengthen the liable laws make the press responsible for what they report–it is way to easy to run with a story and liable individuals or organisation with the laws dealing with the press in this country.

March 25, 2012 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • Eric d

The issue is the fact that a person was walking in a neighborhood minding his own business, was then followed by an armed person who though he was a criminal and continued to follow him after the police told him not to. Instead confronted the person then shot him.
      The further issue is that this person may not be prosecuted as a criminal.

March 25, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
  7. mac

Thank you Reliable Sources for attempting to point out that the so-called Reveren Sharpton, now a MSNBC, commentator/reporter, is indeed lending his own comments regarding the tragic death of Trayvon. MSNBC and CNN have both allowed Sharpton's words to be used in the media as if it were true reporting. Most resonable folks even the main stream press have come to realize just how far left of center MSNBC has ended up.

March 25, 2012 at 11:24 am | Reply
    • Yunaithe

16a142351caDefinitely believe that which you settad. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks 187

April 7, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply
      • Mint

I like the valuable info you poivrde in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I'm quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

May 23, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  8. Alan D.

I have to say I was disappointed the segment did not deal with the issue of "trial by media." Can this guy get a fair trial anywhere?

March 25, 2012 at 11:22 am | Reply
    • Eric d

The problem is that this guy is not getting a trial

March 25, 2012 at 11:38 am | Reply
  9. Ken Spurgin

You talk about Al Sharpton and the Martin case and you critize him on the comments that he has made. What about Nancy Grace and HLN and the bashing of many people that have not been able to go through the justice system. What happened to innocent until proven innocent. She is the worst of all the offenders. She is the one that said Whitney Houston Could have been pushed under the water. The news channels are working people into a frenzy just for ratings.

March 25, 2012 at 11:21 am | Reply
  10. Eric d

Why is the NRA's role in this not being mentioned. This group builds upon peoples fear of being attacked, That the police can not help them, and that guns make them self sufficient to withstand the first two lies.

March 25, 2012 at 11:18 am | Reply
  11. tim daniels

Re: Trayvon Martin. I'm concerned that the media is now participating in mob rule. This situation is beginning to feel like race relations of sixty or seventy years ago, like something out of "To Kill a Mockingbird", with the races reversed. I sense that the media is reluctant to point out any aspect of Zimmerman's potential innocence. The New Black Panthers might as well have just shouted "Bring a rope!". Where is Atticus Finch when you need him?

March 25, 2012 at 10:55 am | Reply