Sunday, October 19

Is the media scaring us to death over Ebola? Former CNN president Jon Klein on Nielsen's TV ratings glitch; James Risen on how the crackdown on whistleblowers affects reporting.

April 1st, 2012

Miami Herald Reporter: Attacked for coverage of Trayvon Martin

Miami Herald reporter, Frances Robles, joins Howard Kurtz to discuss covering the controversial Trayvon Martin case in Sanford, FL.

Filed under: Media • Reliable Sources • Trayvon Martin
  1. heres a hate crime for ya

My pen is huge! Lwlalala. Choke on my dong bioych.

September 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  2. blµnty

Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: Miami Herald Newspaper Executives.

------
    Fire reporter Frances Robles for dangerous and irresponsible journalism.

Frances Robles is a reporter for the Miami Herald and is currently assigned to the George Zimmerman case. On Friday July 13th Frances Robles published an article in the Miami Herald where she took it upon herself to expose the identity of Mark Osterman who took George in after the shooting. Frances Robles made it clear that Osterman had a Facebook account and had pictures. Included in the pictures were photos of Osterman and his elementary school age daughter. This has lead to personal attacks, death threats, and constant harassment for the Osterman and his family, especially his young daughter. When confronted about such dangerous and irresponsible reporting Frances Robles has publicly stated that the harassment is the Osterman family's fault for failing to close their facebook accounts and removing their pictures they have posted online. This is dangerous and completely unacceptable journalism and we demand Frances Robles be fired immediately.
    ------

August 6, 2012 at 1:41 am | Reply
    • Hiroko

pmAnother story involving clnailg the authorities another story illustrating a reason not to call themIf this past week's flurry of news involving the attack on Ann Romney and stay at home mom's this is going to be a long summer and fall of a real ugly campaign season. I would be entertaining if both sides weren't bent on the destruction of our remaining freedoms and this nation

September 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Reply
    • Jason

Frances Robles isn't a very nice person. You'd be best served by steering clear of her, as she only has dirty motives.

October 15, 2012 at 10:15 am | Reply
  3. Janella

Ahhh, Freedom of the Press. The freedom of the few to feed buhlilst to the rest in order to keep us fat lazy and stupid with a 24 hour repeating news cycle. The freedom to blow smoke up our butts about nothing while covering our eyes blinding us from the real issues. They have it down to a fine tuned science. I'm told as a middle aged straight white man that I'm a bigot. I've been told that the better part of my life. I'm told that because I was born a white male, I somehow owe a debt to all those who were wronged before I was born into this melting pot'. It doesn't surprise me that people tend to gravitate to likeness and I refuse to slap them on the knuckles for it. I don't have to go very far from my home to find all the diversity I need. I can point out where the black people live, the arabic people, the jewish people, the polish, the mexicans, etc. Guess what.. They all hate each other too. Everyone tends to stick to their own. I'll guarantee you, I am not welcome in most of those neighborhoods as a visitor. Then they have the nerve to wonder Why I gravitate towards my own kind' and tell me I'm a bigot for doing so without looking in their own damn mirrors. I have had people call the police and tell them I was Exposing myself to kids because I had the nerve to be in their neighborhoods, INVITED. I don't have to look very far to see why people hate each other so much. It takes two to have a conversation and exchange of ideas and I for one, tired a Long time ago of trying. I'll live and let live. That's it. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but that Black kid was killed by a White not, the Mexican, Right? Our last president blew up the levies in N.O. in order to get rid of the blacks living in ocean front property, Right? As long as we let the press at large tell us how we're supposed to all just get along out of one side of their mouths and and with the other, continue to use these hot button issues to whip us into an opposing frenzy, nothing will ever change. The Melting Pot is a fairy tale. A nice idea on the surface but impossible to achieve. We are told this religion is bad, that one is good, when in fact, all of them are murderous and genocidal, historically. The worse part of all of it is, we are Paying these people to tell us that. We pay them by re-electing these moronic boobs known as politicians and buying the products sponsoring the news programs. This day and age, everyone is running around looking for a reason to be offended and our press and politicians are only too happy to give us one. That's how they keep their jobs. I know this isn't quite what you are talking about Empress but every time I hear that Melting pot phrase, it makes my blood boil.

June 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Reply
    • Esti

For some reason, every time you cmnmeot it gets sent to the spam bin. Any ways, thanks for stopping by and cmnmeoting.I do agree with what you are saying and freely admit that I was using the Ephesians passage as an ad hoc argument or, as I would prefer, for a constructive theological purpose. The main point that I was wanting to stress (whether it is clear or not) is that since Jesus' death on the cross was sufficient to end the hostility between Jews and Gentiles, it is sufficient to end other racial/ethnic hostilities if the cross, rather than western politics, would shape our moral/ethical practices.Grace and Peace,Rex

September 11, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Reply
  4. A Conservative Mind

The idea that a person walking at 3 in the morning behind a group of townhouse in a gated community that had a history of break-ins was suspicious only because he was black and wearing a hoodie is ridiculous. This is of course a tragedy for all concerned but the naked exploitation of it by the likes of Sharpton and Jackson and the media hype is sickening. Unfortunately by making a non-racial incident into a racial one this tragedy is only likely to lead to more tragedies.

April 7, 2012 at 6:55 am | Reply
    • Jerry

You just made one of the most insidious, trpnspouued and overwhelmingly biased comments every engineered by someone who is feigning an attitude of fairness.1. If Zimmerman simply wanted to maintain contact until the police arrived and if he understood the most basic rule regarding arresting someone, he would have pulled his weapon from a distance of at least 15- 20 feet and ordered Travon face down. Only an idiot would assume this 17 seventeen year old who happens to be the only one of the two with an unblemished arrest record would have charged Zimmerman with a 9 mm pointed at him.2. What is it that compels a law abiding citizen to disobey the law (his was ordered not to pursue) so he could put himself and a innnocent teenager in peril acting as a seasoned police officier, knowing clearly he was not experienced in this capacity. It's not the fact that you feel no compassion for the Martin family, but the fact that you would defend Zimmerman using generalities shows you have absolutely no concern for this life lost.

June 28, 2012 at 7:25 am | Reply
      • Naveed

I feel awful for the family. So hkntrbreaeiag.I do have to wonder if we have more evidence other than the fact the boy was black that this had anything to do with racism. Just because he was black doesn't mean it was race crime, it could be, but what evidence do we have that it was?I know racism exists today, but too often we turn to the race card when we need to learn more information.

August 3, 2012 at 2:04 am |
    • jim

yeah, except it was not 3 am, it was at about 7 pm. know what you are talking about, much, boy? so you are saying if a kid walks in public at even 3 am, then he is fair game? what a clown you are.

August 3, 2013 at 8:16 am | Reply
  5. diogenes2012

Letter to the Editor- Miami Hearald:
    I would like to commend Frances Robles for her excellent, enlightening and consummately fair article summarizing the Trayvon Martin case. I have spent many hours researching the "facts" but I have been frustrated and deeply disappointed by the inflammatory rhetoric, biased opinions and flagrant lies emanating from the media who have obviously taken strident, unyielding sides in this tragedy for a multiplicity of reasons not really germane to its just resolution. Frances' article cogently and succinctly presents a logical, substantive base from which to proceed. Even someone reading it for the first time with no prior knowledge of the case would be able to comprehend the essence of the incident. I think everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, should read it.
    Since I fervently believe that ignorance is our greatest enemy, what I would now like to see is a complete, detailed explanation of the "due process" to which both Trayvon and George were and are entitled. The protests for justice have achieved their purported goal; an almost unprecedented, palpable and authentic response from local, state and federal governments. The public should know the law, the steps that must be followed to fastidiously and inscrutably implement it, the timeline to expect and the appropriate avenues to pursue should they be displeased with the ultimate outcome. I would hope that Frances would be a part of such an endeavor. She has most certainly earned my appreciation, admiration and respect for her outstanding contributions to date!

April 3, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  6. Ann-Marie Stillion

Breaking news: Frances Robles reports that Trayvon Martin is an average kid in high school.

No, I don't consider a kid's high school record to be important. This whole bs about journalistic objectivity really grinds me. Especially in this story.

Nothing can take away from the fact that an unarmed kid was shot walking home from the grocery store and authorities just looked the other way. I would much rather see that reporter spend her time digging into the facts which apply to the case instead of participating, however innocently, is crucifying a young man.

Look at your kid's facebook page today and check yourself. If petty crimes, pot and ditching school are a reason to crucify someone, we/they are all pretty much finished.

Frances, keep chasing those "juicy" stories. Is that what journalism is? Then why bother reading, is my opinion.

April 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Reply
    • Frank

what if Martin actually sucker punched Z and knocking him to ground with broken nose and began plummeting his head on concrete. You know the 17Yr old that was big with gold teeth and tattoos and not the angel the media keeps showing in a 3yr old picture..who cares as long as that hsi moniker was no limit niggra or that he talked trash about woman and other people.. who cares that he had no bruises on him but Z had all kinds on him...who cares that everybody involved is trying to make money or ratings...who cares

April 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Reply
      • Ann-Marie Stillion

What if Trayvon was standing his ground against an armed attacker? It's a fact that Zimmerman was following the boy at night with a gun. Don't you think victims ever fight back or wound their attackers? There are plenty of pictures out there of Trayvon just weeks before his death, he looks like an nice kid. Could be anybody's nephew or son. The law protects everyone, even really bad guys sometimes. This is America last I checked. Zimmerman needs to be arrested and tried. Then we will see.

April 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
      • Auth

I was with you up until the last phrase. Christianity could offer a model for mrolaity and reason, but it is not supernatural. You seem to leave opened the possibility that non-Christians can also have virtuous character. If we can, then can you really claim that your transformation is supernatural? If you draw the line and say that we can never have this virtue, then you must find all of us somehow lacking virtue. Like racism, it cuts both ways. Also, if the supernatural is necessary, then what is the point of critical thinking? I argue that both critical thinking and a spiritual desire to love and be good is what is necessary. If the supernatual is part of the experiment, then poor critical thinking should be just as good as more rigorous thinking since God will fix it. Why can't the godhead simply inspire and fire the imagination? This is to me both reasonable and spiritual.

June 28, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Petra

bathroom uh, exdlope. (this got repeated a couple of times b/c the lady *pretended* not to understand my boss.) The fat lady turns to me, el white girl, w/ this you can't understand these foreigners look, and then says something about how she should learn to speak English. The look on my boss's face fucking killed me. She was so hurt. I said to the lady Where are your people from? When did they come over here, huh? You're not a native American. How DARE you! This woman is my BOSS! How DARE you insult her! She told you four times the bathroom wasn't working! Get the fuck out of here! That fuckin' pig knew DAMN WELL what my boss was saying. She just used it as an opportunity to express her prejudice and try to get me to agree. Fucking bully. This entire issue has always driven me nuts to distraction. People trying to make themselves feel better by putting down someone else b/c they're different. There is no different. There is no other. And watch the fuck out during economic hardship b/c it all escalates. Check pre WWII German history if you're not so sure of that.

July 1, 2012 at 2:04 am | Reply
      • Jatin

the media would like the out rage so they have something to rorpet on. They won't cover the murder of the young white couple by five black people, the white mans penis was cut off while his woman watched then they tortured her to death sounds like a hate crime to me but not covered.

August 3, 2012 at 1:06 am |
  7. Evette L.Wilson

.I just saw a reporter on Media Matters argue why she brought out Trayvon's suspension record. I pray that my sons' teenage actions will not be used for the justification of their murder/death. I am blessed that they are not DEAD because they placed their picture on FACEBOOK like other teens showing their friends how outlandish they can be! I am glad that I was not rebuked for putting on my sight pictures of my children that I would like the world to see through my eyes! I am TRULY blessed that both of my sons lived beyond 17 despite their choices of clothing and routes they took to and FRO! I am BLESSED that they have never been stalked, chased and called names. They did not have to call out for HELP beccause no one was around to help them in unfamiliar surroundings. I am frustrated that another mother's son and family is enduring this pain and agony. I stand by their struggle for JUSTICE and answers!!

April 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Reply
    • Frank

witnesses say it was george z who screamed..experts who have software for sale say it wasnt him but didnt know if it was martin...note experts dime a dozen...one thing we do know Z was beat up and has multiple bruises Martin acccording to family mortician had none...may god will bless you with a brain

April 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Reply
      • Australia

Is it that they want to sell more papers, or get more viwrees, or as in the case with WGBR, get more hits on their new news website? What is it that makes the media rush into these things the way they do.The Duke lacrosse team story should have taught them something…but it didn’t.Even my local small town AM radio station, WGBR 1150, had to get into the act this morning by booking an interview with the president of the North Carolina NAACP who are of course holding rallies to whip up reaction to the incident. The name of the organization tells you that that was going to be an objective conversation.You knew the Rev. Dr. William Barber wasn’t going to address the problems with crime in the area, or Zimmerman being on the ground being pummeled by the little boy with the Skittles, about the broken nose and head wounds suffered by Zimmerman, or the witness who saw the altercation and heard Zimmerman screaming for help.You knew Barber wasn’t going to talk about Zimmerman’s racial associations, a Hispanic with a white father who has black relatives and interacts with blacks regularly.You knew Barber wasn’t going to address the troubled teen’s history as enumerated in the articles below and, shock, there’s even one from ABC News. The others are from local newspapers and the UK.No the NCAAP president didn’t mention those things but then, neither did the WGBR news jock!

July 31, 2012 at 10:03 pm |