Sunday, November 23

CNN's Sara Sidner and a media lawyer explain what it's like to cover Ferguson; big-name anchors are secretly meeting with Darren Wilson; Bill Cosby pressures an AP reporter.

May 11th, 2012

Sneak peek at this Sunday's show

By Cassie Spodak, CNN

Was it all a calculated campaign or did Biden force the President’s hand? The Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis and founder of AmericaBlog.com John Aravosis will discuss President Obama’s support of gay marriage in an interview with ABC on Wednesday, and whether the media have been biased in coverage of the comments.

The Washington Post’s Nia-Malika Henderson, former media correspondent for the PBS NewsHour Terence Smith, and Daily-Download.com founder Lauren Ashburn will discuss the week in political coverage – from the same sex marriage debate to Mitt Romney’s claimed involvement with the auto-bailout as well as accusations of bullying and Santorum’s email endorsement.

National security correspondent for the New York Times Mark Mazzetti will discuss coverage of the latest foiled terrorist plot and how a leak gave the Associated Press a huge scoop and sent the government scrambling.

Longtime NBC anchor Tom Brokaw talks about the disconnect between what the media focuses on and what really matters to the public.

This Sunday, 11a.m. ET.

Posted by
Filed under: Blog • Reliable Sources • Sneak Peek
  1. Bryan

When Howie reviews today's show, I hope he goes back and looks at the "debate" about gay marriage. Disgraceful. He allowed the gay rights supporter to absolutely control the discussion by merely talking over the other guest. I wanted to hear both sides. But if you allow the presentation of both sides to be stifled by one person just shouting over the other and then coming back and saying "we're out of time", the show becomes a lot less valuable to me. Howie never stepped in to let his other guest respond to the blathering.

May 13, 2012 at 11:57 am | Reply
    • Michael

II agree Bryan.
      I felt very uncomfortable as Howie allowed John to filibuster throughout second half of the segment. When Matt stated, correctly, that gay rights should no way be equated with civil rights and John shouted him down, it was then that the whole interview fell apart. I believe that since the civil rights causes were successful, the gay activists want to join their agenda to the civil rights struggle. Race is completely different than sexual orientation regardless of what Coretta Scott King believes.

May 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • Jorge

I think they should have been kicekd out of the army. I am against gays in the military. No self-respecting homosexual should risk his one and only life for a country that hates him. Or her. We have more than enough straight people to spare, let them go and get killed. Ban Gays in the Military!!

July 1, 2012 at 4:40 am | Reply
    • Judy

I know I'm late on this reply but I hardly ever get on line.... Anyway I wanted to say that most of the time when people try to have a discussion on anything to do with the Gay's the gay folks scream and yell so much that the others can't get anything in or understood, I believe thats why they do it.. Some folks think if you yell the loudest then you get the most attention, { If I can't get my way at first then I'll scream until they get tired and give in.} But in my opinion they just look childish and silly. I'm still against gay marriage, they will never change my mind!!!!

July 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
      • Miyaki

umm.. why is everything about this guy awayls about him being gay? when does he or the media ever discuss anything else but that fact? He's gay, so what? millions of people are gay, more have been, and more will be for ages to come. Can we now finally talk about things that really define who they are as person? oh well, we're getting there one step at a time

September 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  2. Judy

The remark was made that Obama didn't lose any votes by coming out and supporting same sex marriage, then they also said that maybe he lost some black votes. Well I'm here to let you know that I'm white and he has most certainly lost my vote and my family that supported him last election. I really thought he could help this country last election but after the things he has done with not only same sex marriage but with Israel, I pray that he will lose this election. I'm not crazy about Romney but he now has my vote.

May 13, 2012 at 11:55 am | Reply
    • Wahid

Has nature given a ceictfirate to anyone as to what is natural and what is not? Both homosexuals and heterosexuals are born of parents. How can the former then be unnatural? People should grow up and read something called psychology! Bisexuality is manifested in actual human behaviour: in some it is expressed (active) while in some it is repressed (latent)! Why is personal choice so difficult for others to understand? Why should one person decide what others should do in their bedrooms? Grow up

July 1, 2012 at 5:14 am | Reply
      • Helbert

DKL: I totally agree about the gornveor thing, but the advantage we both have going into this is that our opponent is going to be a senator anyway. I don't know if 2 senators is a problem, if you're running against a senator. (I say that, but I'm still pulling for a gornveor to be VP on our side, so I certainly agree with your calculus there.)I feel like McCain in 2008 is the kind of guy who might pick a Lindsey Graham on the one hand because it shores up the base, but on the other, because he personally is friends with the guy. For some reason, I don't see McCain picking someone he doesn't like just to please people.I wonder how McCain gets along with Liddy Dole? Good ol' Bob Dole came out to call for GOP party unity with that letter to Rush Limbaugh & follow up appearances. That might be viewed as a pro-McCain overture and a test balloon for putting Liddy on the ticket? If you'd be satisfied that she passes conservative muster, I think that might be a strong ticket choice.I always feel sorry for ol' Bush41 when I think about Jeb's lack of a political future. At least there will always be George P. I think you ought to incubate Bobby Jindal just a bit longer before you bring him national, but I agree that he looks like a bright star in the GOP's future.On the Democratic side, I've had to tell every Democrat and their mother twice that it doesn't make sense for either Obama or Clinton to pick the other as a running mate. Nor does either need a Latino, a black or a woman unless the GOP picks a Latino, a black or a woman VP. Short of that, I think the best bet for either one is a white, male, Southern gornveor. I don't know anything about either one except their names and re-election numbers, but Gov. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee and Gov. Brad Henry of Oklahoma both look good to me on paper. (They both won reelection in red states with 66% majorities.)

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  3. John

I'm shocked CNN and WP staff thought the smear piece on something Rommey did in high school over 45 years ago was fair... I can't wait to see the piece on Prez O'bama's enthusiastic drug use. I wonder how enthusiastic he was... Did he deal drugs also?

May 13, 2012 at 11:36 am | Reply
  4. Patriot

I'm a straight man and devoted husband and father. Of course Romney's gay bashing is a 100% valid story. He doesn't remember whether or not he, at military age, held another young man as he screamed and cried for help, and took scissors to his head to cut his hair? Whereas the other young men, including a man who served as a Republican county chair, do? If he said "I don't recall if we tackled and cut the hair off a young woman?" or "the locks off a Hasidic student" would Romney get off that easy, and would conservative commentators be saying "Bygones will be bygones"? I hope to God, no.

May 13, 2012 at 11:32 am | Reply
    • Lyn

The only people who are dengared are straight people like you who believe that fags like me choose to me this way. I did not wake up one morning and say to myself, Well, I think I'll be gay from now on. It doesn't work that way. Did you chose to be straight? It's the same fucking thing. I turned out to be gay and there's nothing I can do about it.

July 1, 2012 at 4:07 am | Reply
  5. Marilyn

I can't believe that lady on the show said watch Fox News, who is she to tell us that, sorry lady there are a lot of us that can think for ourselves and realize that channel is one sided and even makes up things to make all Democrates look bad, and skip what Republicans do wrong. She is a typical Fox fan and wish you didn't have her on CNN.

May 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply