Sunday, December 14

Rolling Stone & UVA—Did the reporter have an agenda? How the CIA uses misinformation; should the media publish hacked emails? Obama's recent media blitz; an American journalist held in Iran.

June 15th, 2012

Sneak peek at this Sunday's show

By Pallavi Reddy, CNN

On Friday President Obama announced his new immigration policy, which allows many younger illegal immigrants to stay in the country. Immediately all the cable news channels took to the airwaves with various angles to the story in anticipation of his speech. Conservatives voiced their disapproval, while liberals supported the president’s new stance. Howard Kurtz will talk to Jose Antonio Vargas, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist the founder of Define American, who revealed last year that he is an illegal immigrant. We’ll also have Current TV’s Cenk Uygur and the Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis to talk about the coverage of the president’s new policy as well as the war of words over Eric Holder’s grilling by Senate Republicans over “Operation Fast and Furious.”

Sunday marks the 40th anniversary of the Watergate story being broken by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. But could this type of investigative reporting happen today? We’ll ask the Washington Post’s vice president-at-large Len Downie, the executive chair of the Center for Investigative Reporting Phil Bronstein, and former Los Angeles Times media reporter Jane Hall.

For years, Michael Ware was the face and voice of CNN, reporting from any war zone around the world. Howard Kurtz will talk to him about what it’s like to come home after chronicling all these conflicts.

This Sunday at 11 a.m. ET on CNN.

Posted by
Filed under: Blog • Reliable Sources • Sneak Peek
  1. Pete

"Yea . . . right, mate."

I'm a huge fan of situations that shed professional courtesy and today's Ware-segment did not fail to provide for my amusement. Here's a link to a blog piece on the moment, http://dome1972.blogspot.ca/2012/06/yea-right-mate.html.

Good times, Reliable Sources.

June 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Reply
    • Auth

Hi, Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try deleting evhriteyng from the ipod except the update files next. I had thought of that but was hoping to avoid it just because I manage my music manually instead of just letting itunes sync. I have more in Itunes than I do in my ipod and I like it that way so it may be a pain to get it back that way if I delete evhriteyng. But if it works, it will be worth it. Dr. Robin, I did use the procedure in the pdf you mentioned to get the files into itunes. Those instructions were certainly much better than the ones provided by dension. My dension menu doesn't have an update option though so I have been using the start update file as well. I will report back and let y'all know if it worked. Thanks

August 1, 2012 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • Gianluca

Hi Simon, yes I had that to start with and I can't remember exltcay what I did but I think it was as simple as restarting iPhone and restarting the Dension i.e. unplugging it from car battery for a few minutes to reset it. Then it recognizes the iPhone afresh. Try that as you must get it working as its fantastic having phone and ipod functions in one with Supertooth Light Bluetooth Handsfree to answer calls for you, 30 quid from Amazon. With 3G and GPS/Tomtom coming I can ditch my original TomTom as well

August 3, 2012 at 4:28 am | Reply
  2. Fact Check Much

Something was shown on RS/Media Watch this morning about Fox being totally incorrect regarding the EPA using drones to spy over farmers' fields. I assumed Fox made the error, but then I just read on MSNBC that drones ARE being used. Are both of them wrong or is CNN not checking THEIR facts now? Say it isn't so; they're the only ones I can half-heartedly trust.

June 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Reply
    • Alain

Hi HalTried this used 2.15 update inasted of the update package as its not available still no luck, this is how I tried. Downloaded 2.15 restored Ipod to factory settings, copied 2.15 to ipod, ran Start update and placed in cradle this only ran itself didnt run any of the update files, tried by running the update files still no joy. Not sure if I am doing something wrong here or if the unit is FUBAR.

September 9, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Reply
  3. Disgusted in Chicago

This morning's loudmouth rudeness of Matt Lewis was appalling; CNN would do a service by letting Lewis and Ari Fleischer slither on over to FoxNews. The Atwater-Rove-Breitbartization of politics is our doom.

June 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  4. Darlene Pedersen

This is what I emailed Reliable Sources: I thought Howard Kurtz interview of Michael Ware was horrible and insensitive. When Ware said there was no support for journalists who spend years in war zones and come back with PTSD, it appeared Kurtz turned this into these journalists are adrenaline junkies as if this is the journalists own fault. I felt Kurtz felt he had to defend CNN rather than explore what Ware had to say. Kurtz was also suggesting why not just leave that job. Are there jobs for these journalists truly available back home. Kurtz seemed similar to a defense department person denying soldiers really have PTSD. It seems to me that with these wars that journalists are suffering the same PTSD as soldiers, but news agencies do not want to deal with this reality. I believe when these journalists start out they want to find out and report what is really going on at the front line. When Kurtz said he was sorry he had to cut off the interview because of the Rodney King news ( truly a brief mention), I felt Kurtz was glad for the excuse and one could sort of hear Ware commenting in such a way that said " sure, BS!" i think CNN needs to be listening to the Ware's of the world, with respect for what he has contributed and evaluate CNNs responsibility in all of this.

June 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  5. John

Vargas, again. Why is it no one ever asks this guy about how he ended up at the Washington Post? The facts are simple. He applied for and received a minority set-aside scholarship to San Francisco State University, in violation of the rules that prevent non-citizens from receiving such affirmative action benefits (and the rules are clearly stated on the application form, so there is no way that Vargas did not know he was in violation of them; you cannot apply unless you are a US citizen, it is just that simple). In other words, he deprived someone, and in particular a needy and deserving US native born minority whose family/group has some record of suffering discrimination in this country, of a scholarship. This is the whole rationale for affirmative action in the first place, to help US citizens whose families has suffered from past discrimination; it is not lying illegal immigrants from the Philippines, though Vargas appears as unconcerned about that as he is about violating US immigration laws, and he seems to think that he can break any law or rule here that he wishes, and then beat his chest about it in public as if he were some kind of hero! Rumor has it that he was also an affirmative action hire at the Post, which is hardly surprising since the Post does not do a lot of recruiting at places like SFSU. If so, he deprived a needy and deserving US native born minority of a plum AA job. Maybe Vargas and Howie see no problem with that, but most US citizens would see this is an absolute travesty and fraud, and a flagrant misuse of affirmative action. At a minimum, Vargas is not the best spokesperson for the Dream Act.

June 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  6. oh howie

Let Michael Ware talk!

June 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Reply
    • Joe in Seattle

I agree...it is rude to cut off one of spokesmen on the most important issues in our society – Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, possibly impacting millions of veterans. Tragic as it is, the death of Rodney King only should be announced once during the hour – why spend time interviewing the Rialto police; nothing new was added by spending so much time to find out there is no apparent cause of death of Mr. King.

June 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
    • Robert from Toronto Ont., Canada

You blew it Howard, you blew it BIGTIME! You not only cut him off you mocked him by saying (paraphrasing) he was there for the adrenalin rush. Up until today I had incredible respect for you and the show. Next week you need to apologize to him on the air and have him back to finish what he was trying to say. He is a man suffering from PTSD, show some kindness and respect. Don't mock him.

Thank you.

June 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Reply
      • Narges

provides top rate service & eqpmiuent to clients in the Calgary area, limousine, limousine service, limousine sales, limo, limos, limo service, calgary limousine service, calgary airport transportation, YYC, banff, discover alberta, discover calgary, alberta, tours calgary, tourism canada, travel canada, canada, banff, banff transportation, tours alberta, travel service alberta, limousine service canada

September 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Becky

Brigitte! Wow. Thank you, so much for introducing my to this pesron! His outworking of scripture is just perfect! His Christ and love centered-ness is just incredibly accurate and it does provoke quite an emotional response! This is the teaching I feel comes directly from God's word, not the legalistic, petty minded, conditional God which churches have constructed around their own narrow mindedness.Thankyou so much!! I would give you a hug, but this is the internet, plus I'm not sure if it would be socially awkward, but the sentiment is sent your way

September 12, 2012 at 2:58 am | Reply
  7. sandi

Reliable Sources has been my all time favourite sunday show since I found it a few years back – however, what Howard just did to Michael Ware just now was heinous, unfair and not even close to reliable – I understand and agree with Mr. Ware's obvious disgust. Reliable Sources should be about, monitoring the media not cya'ing CNN's behaviour in how they treated him.
    At least now, I know what happened to Mr. Ware – I had wondered where he was. So much for loyalty and support.

June 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  8. Kevin

I know the Rodney King story is important, but at this point there is so little to say except share what little is known about his death and his legacy. To rehash that event when it could be better covered during a news portion of CNN is silly. Cutting off the scheduled guests repeatedly, but especially a clearly unhappy Michael Ware, was just wrong.

June 17, 2012 at 11:57 am | Reply
  9. jennifer

I watch RS everyone Sunday AM, and have wondered about media bias – and this morning it was confirmed. Howard Kutz head to head this morning on the journo who interrupted the President on his immigration announcement showed an intolerance for those views that don't align with the media bias on CNN for the Obama administration. Kutz's uncontrolled vent on Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis was unprofessional. Given Cenk Uygur's comment that there is a lack of aggression in journalism these days. Maybe that was what Kutz was trying to prove this morning?! unfortunately his target was the wrong focus. Journalists like Kutz should channel that aggression at those who are actually the political leaders and not attacking their colleagues. Shame on you Kutz.

June 17, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
    • Kevin

Couldn't disagree with you more. We'll have a civil society when everybody, including the politicians, media and everyday folk listen before they talk over those with opposing views. Though I disagree with him,I like listening to Matt Lewis, but he was dead wrong about this.

June 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
  10. John Swinford

I normally agree with Howard Kurtz, however, dwelling on Romney's answers in the Face the Nation interview was a little over the top. There are few politicians who ever answer a question directly. Most, including Obama, fall back on talking points when pressured.

June 17, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
    • Melissa

It is a disgrace on how Prsident Obama is sooooo disrespected and for a REPORTER to defend that is also disgraceful!! Romney rarely takes questions except from FOX and when he does he sticks to script!! Never talks about people who have tried to talk to him about his closing a business and taking away jobs and pensions!! What about people from Mass when he was governor and how the state went down in job creation and raising tution and then telling students to borrow $20,000 from their parents!! If I had $20,000 to lend my kids I would GIVE IT to them!!!

June 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Reply
      • Natalie

Well I'm in the same boat. I tried to upgrade mine from 2.10 to 2.15 and it would cycle togruhh the whole deal over and over again until I manually stop it and remove the ipod. And it still remains at 2.10. Finally did it again and this time it appears to be bricked. I can still switch to a the unit as a changer in my Audi, but plugging in the ipod it does not switch to the Dension menu, just a big check mark saying it can be removed at any time. The radio just sits as if playing track 98 with no audio and no function. Does anyone know how to reset or reflash the icelink plus when in this state?

August 3, 2012 at 1:20 am |
  11. Sandy

Vargas may have some valid points about illegal immigrants, but it's not the captive children who are the only victims. The greatest set of victims are those trying to immigrate LEGALLY. My application for my wife's right to live in the US began in February, 2011, and it is still unresolved, although not especially in doubt. Nonetheless, it has been nearly a year and a half to get her the right to live by my side in the US. It has also cost fees to the government in excess of $2,000. Will the illegals get a financial and time break that my wife and I don't get? Do we not have reasonable expectations that to do something legally costs less and takes less time than benefiting from illegal acts? Our story is not unusual nor a statistical outlier. I want fair treatment for OUR case and less concern for those who avoided the proper, expensive, long process.

June 17, 2012 at 11:13 am | Reply