Sunday, September 13

Christine Brennan & Gary Belsky on if the NFL is getting a free pass from journalist, Rep. Barbara Lee on the anti-war voices in the media, Tim Arango discusses how to find the truth about ISIS.

August 12th, 2012

TIME, CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria

Howard Kurtz on allegations of plagiarism.

Filed under: Media • Media Criticism
  1. Skoda Oktavia help

Hi here is "Skoda Oktavia help http://flint.bookmarkality.com/story.php?title=autolautsprecher-tipps-im-skoda-oktavia", only wanna comment there is a really satisfactory web site, I value the design it actually stands out.

November 4, 2013 at 4:53 am | Reply
  2. Vilma Whalen

Lots of people are intimately familiar with acid reflux symptoms. More than 60 million Americans experience acid reflux at least once a month. Acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), can produce a variety of symptoms.-:,-

With best thoughts
    <http://caramoan.co/index.php/

June 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  3. lavonne eaton

I so hope GPS is back soon. Mr. Zakaria is human. I too have made mistakes.

August 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Reply
    • anne from canada

suspending fareed was an extreme response not needed
      Bring him back!

August 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  4. Ladan Afrasiabi

It is so unfortunate that CNN has chosen to suspend the most intelligent and thorough program (GPS) off the air. I really think there is more to it than the issue of the Time magazine article. I am convinced that some powers are in play to quiet this powerfull man down. He is not bought by lobby groups and states the facts raw and clear. He has appologized and if this decision is not fueld by some political vendeta, then what is it?.

As an avid CNN viewer, and someone who looks forward every Sunay to tune in to GPS, I would like to let Fareed know that he has a very strong supporter base here in Scottsdale Az and beyond.

It will be such a loss if CNN does not bring GPS back.

August 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Reply
    • Bill Branson

Extreme liberals must work under the same rules as everyone else. Any other journalist would have been fired, but because of his political views and ethnicity he won't be.

January 15, 2013 at 10:39 am | Reply
  5. E.Sa'id

Please CNN bring GPS back, Fareeds' show was inspiring and a great thing to look forward on a Sunday morning. It really was the most intelligent show on CNN!

August 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  6. Bennet Paes

I watched this man a couple of years ago and I said to myself: " this guy is a genius in the making" and I was right.
    Rarely does one see a balanced, intelligent view on political affairs as presented by Fareed Zakaria. The Indian gene
    in him shows.

August 19, 2012 at 8:40 am | Reply
    • D. Atlas

I certainly agree & I'm looking forward to next Sunday & GPS but I have to take issue with the concept of "Indian Gene"... somehow I think you intend this to be flattering but to me it's just peculiar. Be careful with that sort of strange racism. It's used when Chinese people excel in the U.S. when other ethnicities fail & since we in the U.S. are less than 50 years from when it was commonly believed that the "Negro gene" meant Blacks in the U.S. were all around inferior, I'd suggest you re-think that term. I can add on a personal level as a white american that I've been going to India for over 35 years (as a visitor) and there is no such thing as an Indian "gene" - India has the most diverse population in the world! Sorry to be scold but that part of your comment was disappointing.

August 19, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
  7. Disappointed in CNN

am disappointed that you have lifted the suspension and have continued to employ Fareed Zakaria after he STOLE / plagiarized work of another reporter and did not give her the due acknowledgement. How can I trust your news organization any longer when you employ know plagiarists? Your explanation of 'reviewing' his work is quite laughable. You did not find his indiscretions on your own.... so what makes one think that you would be able to find other indiscretions. As you know this is not the first time that Fareed has used others work. There was an incident in 2009 where he allegedly used anothers work without giving proper attribution. You should put a note on his resume that you have for each reporter that he has been a PAST PLAGIARIST.
    Does the management not realize why CNN's ratings are in the toilet? It is because CNNs reporting is disgustingly biased (particularly Soledat Obrien comes to mind) and your reporters openly champion President Obama. I can no longer watch your broadcasts because of the blatant bias for President Obama over other candidates. You give President Obama softball questions and lack the intellectual curiosity on any of his policies. You simply take the DNC talking points to attach any other candidates. Your network will continue on its ratings downward slide until you cover the news in a completely UNBIASED fashion. Stop simply taking the talking points from the Obama administration. Do some hard hitting critical pieces on President Obama's policies.

August 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Reply
    • Melissa

Learn to write and spell before being so openly critical of anything. I am debating whether or not to correct all of your errors, or at least make note of them. First, ...known plagiarists, not know plagiarists. Then you use one and you in the same sentence, "...what makes one think that you would..."; if you use one first, stick with it, if you use you first, go with that, because going back and forth doesn't work. Then, it should be others' work, not others work. It's funny that Soledat Obrien comes to your mind when Soledad O'Brien would probably come to someone who knew who that person was. Maybe you are just not as smart as you think you are, which is why is makes it hard for you to understand CNN or why you might consider their reporting biased. Don't be too hard on yourself though, you fit right in with all the other inbred republican hicks out there.

August 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Reply
      • D. Atlas

Eats, Shoots and Leaves (Lynne Truss) comes to mind! Thanks for pointing out the fuzzy writing/thinking! The anti-intellectual GOP base is proud of being hicks, unfortunately....too bad for the U.S.A. and it's future. Even the few well educated commentators on Faux news have to pretend they are dumb so they won't scare off their viewers. i.e., Gretchen Carlson (Stanford & Oxford graduate) pretends to not know the meaning of the word ignoramus & will "have to google" it. Sad.

August 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
      • Mac

I find it pathetic that your reponse to someone who seems to honestly think that plagiarism is wrong is to criticize their English! You share with many others the belief that someone like Zakaria who is, in your view, intelligent and well-spoken, should get a pass on unethical behaviour. Brave New World.

August 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • Michael Greene

Very impressed with your response to the Zakaria critic.

November 24, 2012 at 7:49 am |
      • debbie s

"hi michael, u hit reply button in wrong place, or something? i didn't write this. i dn't "diss" ppl for spelling, grammar, etc. i think there's a gene for that. ya also never know what kinda' trouble ssome ppl may be having, using a keyboard, maybe it's a speech recognition, etc. ya just never know. some very smart ppl seem unable to spell, space, punctuate, "grammarize", in writing, or in a hurry.. and what sounds like "ignorance" in speech, is offten just accent, speech patterns from where born/raised, etc. and as long as ya know what they're trhying to say , i don't care. so sorry, i'm not the grammar school teac her :)

in response to Melissa:

Learn to write and spell before being so openly critical of anything. I am debating whether or not to correct all of your errors, or at least make note of them. First, …known plagiarists, not know plagiarists. Then you use one and you in the same sentence, “…what makes one think that you would…” if [...]"

michael: "Very impressed with your response to the Zakaria critic."

November 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
      • debbie s

sorry, michael, never mind. i guess i was just scheduled to recioeve anything in the thread. thought for some reason, it was about a comment i made lol i just think melissa went to a lot of troube repling to a troll

November 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  8. D. Atlas

Great News!!! His type of journalism is as rare as hens teeth. I sometimes watch PBS and BBC for a wider perspective of issues and they do offer more than the usual tripe but Fareed is a unique TV & print journalist for the times we live in and we can't wait until Aug. 26 to get back to watching GPS!!

His speciality shows like the one he did on the Mumbai terrorist attack and the one he did on healthcare (using TR Reid's research) stand with the best documentaries available. I watched each one several times.

August 18, 2012 at 10:48 am | Reply
  9. DKDC

His suspension has been revoked. He'll be back on the air on Aug 26th. Welcome back Fareed – it's been a boring sunday (and will be just one more) without you!!

August 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  10. . Carol M

Fareed Zakaria is an original. He is intelligent and not just another "talking head" that is either pandering or on a continuous loop of the same old,same old. His guests are impressive and thoughtful , not just parrots with a spin. he gives a balanced point of view both his own and others who he may or may not agree with. When i I want to be informed, I watch Fareed Zakaria .. He made a mistake, he apologized, So enough already. The only people you are hurting are his viewers,

August 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  11. Janet McKinstry

I was totally shocked to hear that Fareed Zakaria enlightening show will not be on. He is the reason I started watching CNN on Sunday as well as the shows that followed and found them informative and interesting. I was going to start buying Time magazine because of him. Maybe he was a bit too correct and informative to please some in politics that would rather have this information hidden away. Some network had better pick up his show or it will be a great loss to those who really want to get to the core of information bandied about and hear what is real. Watching him was the breath of fresh air that brought me to CNN and his absence is the reason I no longer watch that network. Bring him back! Get real!

August 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
    • Mac Reid

I liked watching his show and reading him too but at what point do we say that ethical lapses are excused by talent? Should we excuse drug users in sport if they are stars? Why not refuse to prosecute drunk drivers if they can prove they are F1 champions? What his employers do to him is irrelevant to me. I choose to say he has lost my confidennce in the integrity and accuracy of what he is saying or writing. His claim that in academia many people do this perhaps indicates a better career path for him.

August 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  12. Mac

>.Zakaria has probably mentored journalism students....30 days?...lol...why not a $10 fine,,

August 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  13. AKSD

This is the only show I watch on CNN is Fareed Zakaria.
    To say it has similarity and I sure he was pressured him to say that it was plagarism–is another issue. Look they have a English dude that use to do Cell Phone Tapping on CNN- how much more criminal can it get

This leads to the point that I wonder how longer would the RIGHT WING people at CNN would have allowed Fareed to do his work.
    I never watch any of idiots like you have above–do not make any sense.

Lots of things are similar when writing –there limited amount of ways especially when they are limited in facutal ways -that it cannot be written without looking similar-

To have a English Dude that taps into phone and not remove him-well that just shows that CNNN and TIMEs are after Fareed.
    This is good for me I now have no reason for watching at CNN ( I only visted this site because I wanted to see why his show was not aired)

August 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  14. Haile Hiralall

Fareed's presentation has always been brilliant, thought provoking, analytical and down to earth. He is not only an inspiration to minorities, but for for all those who watch his show. He, unquestionably, deserves a second chance as he has a lot to offer and to educate. It will turn me off from CNN if he is not reinstated.

August 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  15. Frank S

We need our Fareed. I'm sure he promises he won't do it again, lesson learned, etc. The transgression seems relaitvely minor, mainly the source(s) were not attributed. At this point I rule that it is no biggie, assuming he doesn't do it again. Fareed' Sunday show stands apart from the usual fare and we need it back asap. Thanks

August 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Reply
  16. Petra Scheller

Zakaria is a superb journalist with the intellectual capacity, experience and wisdom to put the real issues of one of the greatest countries in the world into a badly needed global perspective. As a Canadian, I rely on his weekly GPS for a balanced approach and in-depth reporting that is sadly missing from much of American TV. Wherever he goes...I will follow. I hope it's back to CNN.

August 15, 2012 at 12:51 am | Reply
  17. DP

At least he puts together stuff that gets us thinking. It is the best weekly information he offers, the next best thing to "CNN International" which has disappointingly disappeared from the face of the earth (oops, I meant face of North America!).

August 15, 2012 at 12:48 am | Reply
  18. David Powell

Fareed Zakaria is my favorite columnist. His columns were the first thing I wanted to read in Time. I can't endorse plagiarism, but I hope to see him and his column again soon. Can't say I always agreed with him, but he gave me something to think about. My own opionions are a complelation of everyone I have ever talked with or read and I believe the same applies to most human beings.

August 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  19. Linda P

Can you at least replace his show with something similar: thoughtful, analytical, world news. Not American politics, which I am sick-to-death-hearing-about. Last Sunday was so disappointing, not just missing Zakariah, but replaced with another boring presidental political "analysis."

August 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • William

I completely agree! I am so tired of white ditto heads talking politics all day. They espouse opinions about things they know nothing about.

August 14, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  20. Monique Baldwin

I really enjoy watching Fareed Zakaria on Sundays, I watch the show twice sometimes in case I missed something. He is really thought provoking and the only reason I watch CNN on Sundays. I've learned so much about foreign policies and how other countries operate and run their governments. If he does not return there will be no more CNN for me.

August 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Reply
    • William

He was a breath of fresh air. Time and CNN are making a huge mistake.

August 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  21. D. Atlas

The comments have now gone the way of those on Yahoo News...the no-shades of grey crew have climbed onboard, time to close the comment section. I include my snide quips which really don't belong here either. My bad. I believe the majority of comments are very supportive of Fareed and we hope he is back soon. The punishment does not fit the "crime", in my opinion.

August 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  22. Mark R

Despite its occassional acid reflux episodes, my gut has wisely indicated to me that there's something fishy with Zakaria in the past. Now it is proven correct. He is a JOURNALIST, and a Yale council member. Plagiarism is the theft of words. It is a most serious offense in their profession. I hope CNN and Time investigate all of his work with them. My gut tells me this wasn't his first "mistake". He is only sorry because he was caught. Credibility...nevermore.

August 13, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Reply
    • Johny Utah

Mark R: here is a thing for you: "This is not the first time Zakaria has come under ethical fire. Columnist Jeffrey Goldberg accused him of lifting quotes without attribution in 2009. He also caused controversy for his series of off-the-record conversations with President Obama, though he said they were no different than those the president held with any other journalist.".......You can find it in here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/10/fareed-zakaria-plagiarism-new-yorker-time_n_1764954.html

I believe that Zakaria needs to be FIRED since he has committed into Cardinal Sin. Otherwise, CNN (or Time) credibility is on the line.

August 14, 2012 at 8:57 am | Reply
      • Roe

Johny Utah, are you a CNN employee or a Zakaria-hater or both?

August 15, 2012 at 9:46 am |
  23. Qazi

CNN had a very good journalist in Fareed Zakaria.. If he has apologized it should be accepted. He should be allowed to carry on his program. We liked and appreciated his presentations.

August 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  24. Johny Utah

One Month suspension is like taking a vacation after working five years with a company. Then, off to Hawaii in the beach with Martini...then be back to work, doing Plagiarisme all over again !..LOL

August 13, 2012 at 10:04 am | Reply
  25. stevenbeto

When our leaders and luminaries are flawed, we show compassion. When they are perfect, we crucify them. We remember others for the worst thing they have ever done, and in so doing, block any hope for our improvement or salvation. Mr. Zakaria is a better man than are his accusers.

August 13, 2012 at 9:49 am | Reply
    • Johny Utah

Howard Kurtz said: Zakaria has commited Cardinal Sin !! what is cardinal sin? is it only rethorical in nature?...what is the difference between cardinal sin and sin in general?...and what is the right punishment for Cardinal Sin? remember if any college students is doing Plagiarisme, she/he will be kicked out of the school (fired from college). I am not playing politics in here. But, this will be bad precedent if Zakaria is still around since others may do the same in the future and will only be punished by one month suspension?....one month suspension is pretty light for CARDINAL SIN!

August 13, 2012 at 9:57 am | Reply
  26. P Baker

Fareed shows himself to be both human and accountable. We would be much the worse without his intelligent and insightful journalism. Let's hope CNN does not take the easy route on this one but stands behind their best contributor to our collective enlightenment.

August 13, 2012 at 2:03 am | Reply
  27. Ken Harris

CNN must bring back Fareed Zakaria. He made a few mistakes – the first in overextending himself, and the second in copying a few sentences from the New Yorker. However, he is the brightest academic journalist on television, and we demand to see him. Hopefully, you don't leave us with the twit Piers Morgan, and the boring Wolf Blitzer. America needs thought provoking journalists like Fareed and Erin Burnett.

Warn him but bring him back.........PLEASE.

August 13, 2012 at 12:32 am | Reply
    • Johny Utah

Ken Harris: his mistakes are severe and he has commited the Cardinal Sin. So, one month punishment is pretty light. Remember if any college students gets caught doing the copy-and-paste somebody's work, she/will be fired aka kicked out of school. IF the table is turned and O'Reilly is doing it then yo all will be crying wolf wanting him to get fired?...

August 13, 2012 at 9:52 am | Reply
  28. debbie

looks like the trolls all come out at night lol

August 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Reply
    • Johny Utah

The Olympic is over so back to the regular boring programs.

August 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  29. Johny Utah

Zakaria is james-bond wannabe with no moral!

August 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  30. Johny Utah

The CNN gives, CNN suspends it away on Zakaria...!! that is showing that Zakaria has no quality at all. I know a college guy being kicked out of college because of Plagiarism. Zakaria is done and embarrasing to CNN.

August 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  31. Eli

Every week Zakaria pontificates on ethics. He is a sorry excuse of a man.

And for all of the posters here who cite his intelligence as reason to reinstate him, have you no shame? Integrity is a much superior quality than intelligence. Fire Zakaria today.

August 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • Johny Utah

Zakaria is done. Copy-and-paste somebody's work is Cardinal Sin.

August 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Reply
    • Yardley

Meh.

August 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  32. al castellanos

Plagiarism is probably the highest level of deception that you can find in journalism. It is a serious and sickening morally offensive practice that clearly establishes failure to the most basic elements of honesty, integrity and professionalism. In order for Zakaria to be reinstated, it has to be proven beyond any doubt that this major error was not part of a systematic approach to writing by Mr. Zakaria.
    I would like a full article on how is it that he gets his ideas, and how is it that the makes sure that he is no committing plagiarism. Also a full explanation on how this error was made. Until that is absolutely clear, I would strongly believe that plagiarism is embedded in the way this gentleman goes about his business, and that you should not have him for the sake of journalism and for the sake of your company. Zakaria is to journalism what Paterno has been to college football.

August 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • D. Atlas

I'm sure Kathy Griffin could make something really funny out of this comment so I'll leave it to her. Meanwhile, I'll just have to laugh in the privacy of my home that anyone, in their wildest imagination could compare leaving out a secondary factual attribute–not making up the information–to raping young boys...for years & years & years. Good one!! Oy boy.... really good! Thanks for the chuckle al.

August 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Reply
      • debbie

yeah, thanks D, i couldn't believe this one, either

August 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
      • al castellanos

Do you have any idea for how long Mr. Zakaria has been cheating? Do you really think it’s the first time in his life that he did that? It’s the way he functions; he raped journalism in the same way molesters do with kids; Once they do it, they keep going. If that is not the case, let him prove it. He tainted his image for the rest of his life; he will not have credibility again. I can see that you are being selfish because you want to continue having fun on Sundays, listening to him, no matter that he might be doing plagiarism. The same attitude that look the other way around with Paterno for 12 years; and look at the consequences. That is why they are the same.

August 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
      • D. Atlas

uh huh. yup, I selfishly want to watch, read & listen to Fareed (we're on a first name basis because I watch his show). Guess that makes me an enabler of child rapists ... and while I'm at it, I think I'll get me some assault weapons so I can help the NRA make us a safer country....in the U.S.A where up is down & science is dangerous but guns are safe. Yup, al, life is sure fun, everyday and Sundays here in the greatest country in the world. Sorry all you not great countries that have lower rates of murder by guns & healthcare for all your citizens–you are just not as great as us because let's face it, we have more people in prison than any other industrialized nation in the world & that just proves how great we are!!! Yeah, sarcasm makes me feel better & I don't care how it makes you feel al, I'm just that kind of gal.

August 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
      • larrykelly

bitter much?

August 13, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
      • Dev

Thank you D. Atlas. I am chuckling with you.

August 16, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • debbie

reminds me of when somebody compared the president to hitler, and barney franks lit into her – something like, "on what planet do you live"

August 15, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  33. zahoor shah

we need fareed back – people does mistake and we learned from the mistakes........Please get him back – give him on more chance.....

August 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  34. Donna Riser

Fareed Zakaria's CNN show is ,one of the few that consistently provides thoughtful analysis, articulate and informed guests and reasoned opinions. What a dreadful time (in this election year) for his voice to be silenced. Please bring him back soon!

I also concur that his "plagiarism" does seem less serious than the outrage heaped upon it, which feels like a witch hunt. I suspect he has accepted responsibility for what may well have been a researcher's error.

August 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Reply
    • debbie

exactly!

"What a dreadful time (in this election year) for his voice to be silenced. Please bring him back soon!"

"I also concur that his "plagiarism" does seem less serious than the outrage heaped upon it, which feels like a witch hunt"

August 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Reply
      • larrykelly

This witch needs no hunting. It's right in the open.

August 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  35. Jeri van Leeuwen

Sunday mornings here are planned around Fareed Zakaria's excellent program; missing it is out of the question. How refreshing to listen to his skillful , astute handling of difficult subjects with the high calibre of guests he attracts. I too regret his lapse of judgement and believe a reprimand is required, but this public embarrassment is surely punishment enough. No one should condone palgarism but let's hope those that are condemming him are free from scrutiny in their own professional lives.
    Surely his apology should be sufficient at this point.

August 12, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  36. Darcey Brown

great, CNN, suspend the best and one of the few professional journalists you have and keep the light weights and eye candy.

August 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  37. Bebe T

As an 80 year-old fan, I think Fareed Zakaria GPS is one of the best shows on television. I look forward to it every Sunday. Please bring his show back ASAP!

August 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
    • Johny Utah

I know a guy in college got kicked out of school because of Plagiarisme. Copy-and-paste from somebody else's idea is cardinal sin.

August 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Reply
  38. debbie

this is the guy who returned his "Anti-Defamation League Award Over Ground Zero Mosque"

could there be any question of his morals or ethics?

August 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Reply
  39. debbie

and he didn't throw an assistant under the bus

August 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Reply
  40. m.alan

No apologies. Plagiarism is plagiarism.Fareed Zakaria makes his living by offering strong opinion about serious issues, constantly embracing core values and integrity. Now it's evident he doesn't hold the same values and ethics that he expects in others. He needs to go. Mr. Kurtz, I hope you hold him accountable like you have others. Please don't white wash the incident like you did for Maureen Dowd. Please be consistent . Plagiarism is plagiarism, there are no excuses or apologies.

August 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • zahoor shah

you know nothings -- alone

August 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Reply
      • Johny Utah

zahoor shah: do you like Plagiarisme? ehm...you also have no moral.

August 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  41. debbie

i agree with "minor editing issue", and what several others have said.

for cryin'out loud, he didn't make up quotes or facts, or a story, or an entire series.

i hope he's back asap!

August 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  42. DON LOWEBURG

I guess "chicken shit" is not in your lexicon of allowed terms, since you did not post my first comment. However, as in my previous post, CNN and TIME are chicken shits. Zakaria is your best asset and you just chucked him. No more CNN or Time for me.

Don Loweburg
    North Fork, CA

August 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  43. mike

This infraction needs to be taken seriously, but to get rid of the smartest person on the network would be even sadder. Given the impression I have of Fareed, he will go to great lengths to make sure this doesnt occur again. CNN needs more reporters like him, not less.

August 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  44. Mary

I think that Fareed should be FIRED! What type of message does this send to other aspiring journalists? I do not care if he apologized, because that is no excuse!

August 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  45. Maureen Tucker

I tape and watch Fareed Zakaria's GPS show every Sunday, as I think it is the best program on the important issues and events globally and nationally. I was not happy to find that Time and CNN had suspended Mr. Zakaria for including factual information researched and quoted by another columnist in the Atlantic in one of his columns. This may be technical plagiarism, but it is not the same as theft of ideas or creation. I'm sure that the NRA is delighted, however, by this turn of events. Please return Fareed Zakaria's column in Time and his GPS show to his many readers and viewers!

August 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  46. larrykelly

With plagiarism it needs to be one shot and you're out. You never get to be a virgin again. Fire him.

August 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  47. David Jones

I agree with the comments above but I wont repeat them in case I'm accused of plagiarizing.
    The question I ask: Is it plagiarising to repeat material from a secondary source

August 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Reply
  48. D. Atlas

Bit of a stretch, am wondering if something else isn't really going on. Did his ruffle too many feathers with his outstanding REAL journalism? He gave credit for the actual information but not the person who used that information (Lepore) before him. Suspending the best show on CNN when he admitted right away he'd missed the Lepore attribution seems like major overkill. Sunday will not be the same with his thoughtful & intelligent show GPS. Only thing we watch on Sunday morning. Plagerism is terrible. This doesn't rise to "terrible" more like a minor editing issue.

August 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Reply
  49. Popcorn

Fareed's show is definitely the most intelligent and informative show available. I am extremely dissappointed that they suspended his show from CNN. I have watched GPS every Sunday for years. I am sure that what he did was an honest mistake and that they should not have suspended his show. There are many other ways to handle and record misconduct without upsetting a large number of viewers. Afterall, those written pieces in question never aired on his show! Furthermore, he has apologized. CNN can record this incident and allow him to continue with his incredibly insightful, fair and balanced show.

August 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  50. paul silverstone

Fareed Zakaria GPS is the #1 show that I watch on CNN. Remove the suspension as soon as possible.!!

August 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Reply
    • Johny Utah

Plagiarisme is Cardinal Sin and Zakaria needs to be fired ASAP. He is a big embarassment to CNN, Time and society in general.

August 12, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Reply
      • Yardley

Sounds like your comment is plagiarized. But you could at least spell plagiarism correctly.

August 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  51. Cameron Klein

While I agree that Zakaria is one of the most engaging journalists on CNN, I do not agree that this matter should be taken lightly. Having been a writing instructor at both secondary and post-secondary levels, I demand that the journalistic community be held to standards as rigorous or more rigorous than I hold my students. "Second chances" might be okay for high school students who are still trying to understand the nuances of plagiarism, but this kind of journalistic dishonesty by a seasoned veteran deserves nothing less than the severest reprimand. Personally, I will not watch him even if he is reinstated, and I will use his heinous behavior as an illlustration in my future courses.

August 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Reply
    • Dev

Cameron, I take it that you have looked into this issue and not just a paid troll to bring down someone. Could you please explain in what specific way Fareed has plagiarized. I have my opinions but I would like to hear yours.

August 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  52. Andrew Pritchard

Yes, review his work and make sure this was a one-time lapse in judgment. But also realize CNN has cut its collective IQ in half while he's off the air.

No amount of partisan grandstanding and weird Internet videos will compensate for Fareed's brand of substantive, thoughtful interviews with people who actually know what they're talking about. His program has always been appointment TV for me, and it will be again when he comes back.

August 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  53. barbara shearing

No one in this world is infallible and yes Fareed Zakaria erred in judgement in plagiarizing. But I think he should be reinstated to CNN after a short suspension.Fareed has apologized and since he is one of the most astute and dynamic journalists on CNN desrves a second chance. Hopefully this will happen!

August 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Reply
    • don mackay

Thank you Barbara! Rove must be very happy to get rid of that un american Indian. Rove is such a wonderful person!! Read about him in Vanity Fair. The election is Obama v. Rove. Who picked Ryan? not Romney!

August 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Reply