Sunday, July 27

Rula Jebreal and Jeffrey Goldberg discuss coverage of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict; Maziar Bahari on the recent arrests of journalists in Iran and his time spent in an Iranian prison

May 3rd, 2013

Sneak peek at this Sunday's show

By Jamie Gray, CNN

On this week’s Reliable Sources, Howard will address this week’s events that led to his departure from The Daily Beast.

Also on the show, The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza and Lynn Sweet of the Chicago Sun-Times will assess this week’s presidential press conference and how the media has handled developments in the Boston bombing investigation.

As the Jodi Arias trial nears its conclusion, we’ll discuss how the case has been covered with legal analyst Lisa Bloom.

Doonesbury cartoonist Garry Trudeau will tell us about Alpha House, a political pilot developed for an online contest on Amazon.

Finally, former Washington Post reporter Elsa Walsh will give us her take on the debate over how women can balance careers with motherhood.

Tune in Sunday morning, 11am ET.

Posted by
Filed under: Sneak Peek
  1. personal training long island

Jodi Arias is a whack bag. This poor guy should have ran for the hills. Why was she doing handstands in the interrogation room. Good Luck Lady

January 12, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  2. John Martabano

I start every Sunday with 'Meet the Press' then 'Fox News Sunday" and then 'Reliable Sources', but I must admit, I am looking forward to seeing Reliable Sources first, then Fox News Sunday, and last would be Meet the Press (only because David Gregory can not hide his left wing bias from his audience). Howie, regardless of your party affiliation, I hope you continue to strive to be as non-partisan in your questioning as you have been. For many years, I watched Walter Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley, Howard Reasoner, and I never ever questioned their party affiliation in their reporting. I was unaware that Walter Cronkite was a democrat and only found out until several years after his death.

Keep up the good work. I really like watching your show, but I would tune you out just as fast as I tune out David Gregory if I thought you were trying to put a political spin on it. Your show is getting better each week.

May 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Reply
  3. Sharon Christenson

As a regular viewer of Reliable Sources I appreciate the show's retrospective look at how the weeks' news was reported, it adds to my understanding of current events. I think Howard Kurtz's reporting and his choice of guests are a big part of that. In the spirit of the program he put himself up for scrutiny on today's show and it certainly was thorough.
    Issues addressed, time to move on. With what passes for journalism these days, I will stick with Mr.Kurtz any day. I hope that Reliable Sources will continue to fill this need, I don't know of another.

May 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Reply
  4. AKB

Daily Download was a nest-egg for Howie Kurtz. He wanted to experience building and selling a start-up. Right, Howard? He could do what he did at D-D at CNN or Daily Beast. Why D-D?

May 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Reply
  5. maureen castello

I never watch Howard Kurtz. He was always to snide and in my opinion always played around with truthiness. I switch to ABC at 8 pacific time for This Week because Meet the Press comes on several times during the day. Although I do like that Face the Nation is now 1 hour long

May 5, 2013 at 11:34 am | Reply
  6. maureen

I never watch Reliable Sources. He was always too snide and in my opinion, played around with truthiness. I always switched at 8 Pacific time to ABC for George Stephanopolous because NBC Meet the Press shows several times during the day. Although I like that Face the Nation is 1 hour now.

May 5, 2013 at 11:30 am | Reply
  7. Mick McCrory

Hi Howard,
    I don't fault you for missing one little part of the story about the Gay Basketball player Jason Collins, "coming out". I fault the whole "News / Industrial Complex" for the the fact that ALL the stories on the "News" are about sex. Gay sex, Sex & lies, Sex & murder, Sex with animals, Sex & celebrities. Kardashian Sex, Political Sex.
    Just because some athlete says that he's Gay doesn't make the story worthy of the 5:00pm news. How about some REAL news, instead.
    Fox has GOP news. MSNBC has liberal news. I long for the days when we could turn on Walter Cronkite, & be pretty sure that what he was saying wasn't slanted, or biased. (Unless the info came from the Gov't.) I didn't even notice your story. I was too busy being sickened by the story of the 5 year old that shot & killed his 2 yr. old sister. I hope Wayne LaPierre is really proud of those folks.
    Mc

May 5, 2013 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • maureen castello

Good comment

May 5, 2013 at 11:36 am | Reply
  8. Marcia Kay

Extraordinary opening, ridiculous answers. He has lost credibility and if CNN still cares about accurately reporting the news, they need to replace him.

May 5, 2013 at 11:22 am | Reply
    • Gary

As a 37 year newsroom veteran, I can assure you that Mr. Kurtz has made fewer mistakes than many reporters/pundits I have known. They were rarely called to task. Kurtz had the integrity to own up. I believe that Kurtz retains his credibility as much as anyone is able to at CNN is able to since the Sell-Out of The Century, Jeff Zucker, took command. CNN is becoming a parody of itself and HLN has rotted beyond redemption. Pure infotainment.

May 5, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Reply
      • Gary

Oops...the above message from your Department of Redundancy Dept.

May 5, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
  9. JC Hart

Howard,
    I am glad you had the two guests ask questions your viewers would've asked you. You were wrong, you apologized, you answered questions- now we move on.

May 5, 2013 at 11:18 am | Reply
  10. Lou Roberts

I've been a fan of Reliable Sources and Howie Kurtz for years but his latest 'mistakes' have destroyed my trust in Mr. Kurtz's reporting at CNN.

Sadly I leave.