Sunday, December 14

Rolling Stone & UVA—Did the reporter have an agenda? How the CIA uses misinformation; should the media publish hacked emails? Obama's recent media blitz; an American journalist held in Iran.

January 19th, 2014

Weather Channel, DirecTV in stormy relationship

The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore and Barry Parr on the dispute between The Weather Channel and DirecTV that has led to the channel being blacked out in 20 million homes.

Filed under: DirecTV • Media • The Weather Channel
  1. Cameron

TWC positively rocks!!! I love how TWC has evolved with their enlightening and informative reality shows and documentaries. NBC's ownership of TWC made the channel even better! I also love the music TWC uses when they're showing the forecast. I turn it way up and my subwoofer makes my windows rattle:) But my downstairs neighbors have asked me to lower my volume. They don't want to have to hear it :( Party poopers! What's most imperative that people learn as much as they can regarding our environment. Science has proven that global warming is raging out of control. We need to have media sources shed light on this VERY serious issue. I'm so thankful that TWC has devoted so much time in presenting programming that displays the dire need for Americans to abstain from their wasteful ways and stop abusing the environment! TWC is the greatest cable channel!! Rock on TWC!!!!!

April 25, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  2. Rodney

The Weather Channel needs to return to showing the weather 24/7 and quit airing documentaries. It's fustrating to tune in to find the latest on a winter storm and just find film showing a flood that happened years ago.

Anyone interested enough to watch the weather on TWC wants to see real weather maps (not the dumbed-down crayon colored ones) and radar. We want to see it for the whole country and other parts of the world. The drought in California and the current weather in the Florida Keys is far more interesting than watching some guy play with his wrecker.

February 15, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  3. suzy smith

Directv should bring back TWC,we all have lost a station from our lineup of channels that we are still paying the same price on our monthly bills.The customer is the only one losing,when Directv drops a channel from the lineup all of our bills should have been credited with some kind of discount due to lack of services even if you watch TWC or not.

February 9, 2014 at 8:35 am | Reply
    • Tom

Suzie,
      I totally agree with you, but DirectTV obviously does not. They think they are omnipotent and can do whatever they want whenever they want.
      DirectTV is the real jerk" here – not Jim Cantore or anyone else at the Weather Channel. Local televison stations do not give any true locals unless you are situated within "their local area." I live in Barnegat, NJ and the only "locals" I get come out of New York City and Philadelphia, which are both two hours away from where I live. Not at all true local weather! And that joke of a replacement for the Weather Channel does absolutely NOTHING for my area, so I'm forced to watch TV stations that do not cover my area weather-wise.
      Once again DirectTV does what it wants and cares naught for the customer – regardless what their television ads say!

February 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  4. Kerri Pihl

Pretty element of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually loved account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing in your augment or even I fulfillment you access consistently fast.

January 25, 2014 at 8:39 am | Reply
  5. Best Testosterone Booster

Many of your newer coins are valued mostly by the coins silver content, a dynamic industrywith values fluxuating daily. Determine how much they are valued at today. Finding the best coin buyer for each unit of coins.

January 24, 2014 at 6:22 am | Reply
  6. Colby

Jim "it's all about me" Cantore has a long history self-aggrandizing , and frankly continues to repeatedly demonstrate what an egotistical and true jack@$$ he his. This is not shocking from an Italian man. From wearing purposely over-tight shirts to show his pecks to the nation to sensationalizing non-events. No one should listen to this man for accuracy and truth, for Jim it's rating and sadly showing-off. The best forecasts in the world are from the best forecasters in the world. the National Weather Service .. period.

January 22, 2014 at 11:07 am | Reply
    • James Wright

Direct tv is the jerk here not Jim Cantore and I am pretty sure he calls himself an american, besides that weather nation the channel that direct tv replaced TWC with absolutely sucks it is worthless

April 9, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  7. Lee

I do not have internet at home and the weather channel was the only place I could check the weather here in the mountains & know if we are getting snow. It pisses me off that I signed a contract with Direct TV thinking I had a weather channel and now it is gone. I want out of this contract with Direct TV NOW!

January 21, 2014 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • Tom

Lee,

I agree with you and unlike too many other commenters here, understand what it means not to have any access to weather forecasting. I too am trying to get out of my DirectTV contract, citing breach of contract on their part, but this will most likely come to naught.

While trying to cancel your contract with DirectTV, have you thought of those emergency scanners? They are very helpful when the electricity goes out in my area, so it may be something to consider while you try to get out of your DirectTV contract.

I wish you much luck!

January 21, 2014 at 11:48 am | Reply
  8. Diane

When we lived in southwest Oklahoma and worried about tornadoes I turned to the weather channel to see if a storm was dangerous and they were talking about a storm in Maryland in 1993, ten years earlier. As for Jim cantore, does he really believe he has to stand out in the rain to convince us it's wet out? If you don't have sense to come in out of the rain, I would rather listen to someone smarter.

The weather channel reported, the day Katrina struck the coast, that New Orleans had escaped harm. They did not predict the storm surge, yet they call themselves,the hurricane experts.

January 21, 2014 at 12:29 am | Reply
  9. Jean LeBer

Sorry Weather Channel. Your change in on-air programming caused this. Your management is responsible for loss of viewers and now loss from Direct TV. TWC no longer reports the weather. You are all too concerned about personal image and making everything a catastrophe. Yes, during a real emergency, you guys are out there reporting; something you should be doing all the time. Other stations broadcast emergency weather details just as good without the drama. I still have TWC on my cable but could care less if it went away.

January 20, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  10. *steven

What an egotistucal jerk. Most meteorologists make fun of him and think he is a joke as well as the Weather Channel. In no way shape or form does any respectable meteorologist go to the for any part of their forecast at any time, let alone first. They are usually wrong in the local forecasts and are publicity hounds more worried about ratings and money than safety.

January 20, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  11. Rosie

What a load of hot air! TWC is the weather doctor??? Emergency managers, TV stations, and the National Weather Service gets their weather from TWC??? What a pompous, egotistical pile of propaganda!! As a meteorologist who has worked in both the U.S. Air Force weather service and as a TV meteorologist, and married to a National Weather Service meteorologist who works very closely with a number of emergency managers, I can tell you that his assertions are patent lies.

I can't imagine ANYONE actually watches TWC to find out about actual, real-time, local weather. Those who are making the hue and cry about losing TWC are whining about their fix of reality-TV garbage.

January 20, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • Donna N

For a show called Reliable Sources, this story was teribly ditorted. The Weather Channel shows anything but weather. We have a real wether channel now – Weather Nation.

January 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Reply
      • Tom

Donna,

I understand how you feel, but the WeatherNation does nothing for my area. So, I am back to square one – my radio. WeatherNation is nothing but a pre-recorded series of broadcasts and does not focus in on any local area. I have watched it and dislike it fervently.

After several weeks of viewing WeatherNation, you may change your mind.

Best of luck!

January 21, 2014 at 11:51 am |
  12. Andy

Jim Cantore comes across as awfully desperate saying something like that. The WC doesn't launch weather balloons worldwide twice daily in order to obtain current weather conditions. The weather channel doesn't have supercomputers nor weather prediction models that are used to forecast weather. They simply use what NOAA and National Weather Service give them for free and repackage it as their own. Can you say little man syndrome?

January 20, 2014 at 11:53 am | Reply
  13. Michael Gouldrick

Seriously? The first place an emergency manager, National Weather Service or a local broadcast station turns to is The Weather Channel? PLEASE, that is the last place I look. Time and time again you do nothing but hype an event and it is up to us local mets to calm the masses of your mis-information. The viewer is going to turn to their local provider, not the weather channel, that seems to do very little weather. How many times have you seen, "...and a torndao warning is in effect for (county) more coverage, after storm stories..." Give me a break! You and the channel are not the weather authority you think you are.

January 20, 2014 at 9:45 am | Reply
  14. Lloyd Colston, KC5FM

Really? Jim Cantore? https://twitter.com/jimcantore

As an emergency manager, my first indication of what is to come is from the folks at the National Weather Center in Norman. Between the Storm Prediction Center and the National Weather Service, the professionals there give a good bit of information local emergency managers can use. The Oklahoma Mesonet gives us many tools to make local decisions as well.

Your comment reminds me that I get all my NWS warnings from https://twitter.com/altusready :)

On the other hand, I have been encouraging citizens to have no less than THREE ways to get weather information. Local weather forecasts from the National Weather Service on the Web, including social media, local radio and television broadcasting, the National Weather Service all-hazards radio network, Skywarn, including amateur radio, and the plethora of email and text warnings, including the Weather Channel's own, should leave the Citizen with their choice of at least three.

The prudent Citizen will make the choice based on what is available in their local area.

January 20, 2014 at 7:50 am | Reply
  15. amishjihad

If the Weather Channel is as annoying as their website (I don't live in the states and watch it anymore) then Direct TV should drop them. Listen, it's all about profits and viewer share. If Direct TV were to lose a bunch of money money dropping the WC then they wouldn't have. Jim Cantore, in the clip, does appear to be a little full of himself.

January 20, 2014 at 6:32 am | Reply
  16. Tikidude

Good job Direct TV.Nothing worse than flipping to the weather channel to see the forecast and instead of weather, they have some reality crap about gnats in Zimbabwe! Than I have to search for local weather elsewhere. Like other people say, MTV all over again! They'll just be another deleted channel!

January 20, 2014 at 6:16 am | Reply
  17. Rob Johnson

The Weather Channel should rename itself as the Drama Channel. Years ago I would watch the Weather Channel and they did what they did best. The WC Meteorologists explained what was happening in the nation and provided the forecast.

Now, every storm has to have a name and the drama about what may happen with the pending storm front has become nothing but noise. NBC's involvement in the TWC only increased the drama and so I quit watching the channel two years ago. I use Weather Bug for my weather information along with my weather radio. Much less drama and to the point forecasting.

January 20, 2014 at 5:48 am | Reply
  18. IraVon

I 'm kind of glad DirecTV dropped the Weather Channel..They forgot they were a weather channel and not a "weather-related" reality show! I think they lost touch of what they were broadcasting: the weather! I won't miss Jim Cantore..

January 20, 2014 at 3:25 am | Reply
  19. Jake McCarren

Personally I dont think much of weather.com so I can less whether they are kept or not. They think their weather is the ONLY channel and/or weather report around.
    Half the time the website is pathetic as it is and nothing works correctly.

Brave Direct TV !!!! keep up the push and send them packing off somewhere else.

January 20, 2014 at 1:46 am | Reply
  20. Richard Moore

I noticed that the Weather Channel has a effective following and I hope this will be resolved soon. I also noticed that Direct TV implies that there are other sources for weather coverage, if that be true let's turn it around, there's other sources for news, something they seem to challenge in the interview, somehow their news is special. They don't seem to like having their tactic turned on them.

January 20, 2014 at 12:46 am | Reply
  21. Darla Cantrell

All I can say is if the TWC is not put back on soon, I will be leaving direct tv. I'm so tired of these companies just jerking the stations off the air and not considering the customers. This is BS

January 20, 2014 at 12:38 am | Reply
    • Tom

I agree with you, Darla! DirectTV and too many other TV providers do not take the customer into account when they create a lineup of programming. All they care about is how much profit they can make and what they can control. I understand that many people feel that the Weather Channel has changed in a negative way, but that's not the issue here. Television is overloaded with reality shows, news channels, sports channels, etc., but is DirectTV pulling most of those shows from their airway? No! The feud between DirectTV and The Weather Channel is more than just what is being presented to the public. It's about power and who can push what they believe. DirectTV is just another example of a corporation that cares naught for the customer! I too will be dropping DirectTV when my contract ends this November. I wish it could be sooner, but I know DirectTV would hit me with a very large cancellation fee, which is another way they legally control the customer!

January 20, 2014 at 8:19 am | Reply
    • Lloyd Colston, KC5FM

Darla, et. al.,

IF you wish to leave Direct for Dish, I have a $50 coupon from Dish. FREE.

http://www.dish.com/customerservice/referral/friendsandfamily/ has details.

I have no relationship with Dish, other than as as customer.

January 20, 2014 at 8:53 am | Reply
      • Tom

Thanks, Lloyd!
        Seeing as how you brought this up – how do you like Dish as a satellite provider? I ask because my wife and I started talking about Dish right after this fiasco with DirectTV began.
        Thanks again!

January 20, 2014 at 8:57 am |
    • Mike Gentry

I want The Weather Channel back or I will got to anothercable Co. I like the other programs when the weather has nothing going on much. They also told you about the weather means with all the different clouds and what the bars mean

April 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  22. Todd Sadler

Jim Cantore's ego has really blown up over the past few years. No matter where he goes, people are thanking him and the WC for saving their lives? Really Jim? Wow. Anyway, like so many others, I've noticed that the WC shows weather related reality shows all day long (except in the early mornings). But one thing I have noticed, is that at any given time of the day, Direct TV has an option on the screen to press the red button (I'm guessing not all customers have this option). The red button will bring up your local forecast and allow you to still hear the show. So, for a lot of customers, complaining about reality shows, while having that option makes your point moot. On the flip side, this is the WEATHER CHANNEL. People want to know what the local forecast is going to be and they want to know right away. If we want to watch reality shows, we'll watch it on another channel. I like the WC. I hope it doesn't go down the same road MTV did at one point. Direct TV already charges us enough money as it is. You're pretty much asking them to charge us more money, so you all can get raises.

January 20, 2014 at 12:38 am | Reply
  23. Bob

If the weather channel stuck to just doing weather and get out of the business of liberal propaganda pushed by msnbc
    and running entertainment shows I'd side with TWC.
    Back in the day they did just weather. Just as MTV played videos. Go back to just live weather and dump the entertainment programing and liberal propaganda. If this is the direction TWC wants to continue to go, good riddance.

January 20, 2014 at 12:00 am | Reply
    • Ronald

I agree with Bob, I for one stopped watching the WC some time ago. When Ted Turner owned the WC it was 24/7 Weather.Today it is weather just a few hours, then cheep tapes of events. I agree with Direct TV and wish other cable company's would follow their lead. I'm glad for my weather radio.

January 20, 2014 at 1:25 am | Reply
  24. Pat

I'm very disappointed The Weather Chanel is no longer on Direct TV. I miss the weather related stories and programs . It breaks up the monotony of constant repeated weather reports throughout the day and evening. Most of the shows were informative and interesting. How much weather can we watch? Of course unless there is a storm in my area. It was a little frustrating though when the program was interrupted for the weather. Thanks for your long service Weather Chanel. I'll catch you on-line.

January 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Reply
  25. mick

They need to get back to doing W-E-A-T-H-E-R reporting....instead of all the big production "stories".
    Every time I turn it on to get a weather report, there some "story" on....and the only thing is the "local on the 8's", which is so VERY vague and regional, that it's useless information for the most part.
    I just gave up on watching the weather channel for weather. It's much easier to get real weather reports locally than with them....or just go to their website, though that too is more about advertisements and pictures/stories instead of weather reporting. The site is slow as molasses in winter, and forget trying to look at the weather map...that thing takes forever to load or to navigate.

January 19, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  26. peach

The weather channel USED to have weather on it. NOW it's nothing more than a reality show with a few commercials of weather now and then. EXCEPT for the red button to get the local weather, I never turned it on anymore. I get so tired of turning it over to 362 for the weather and seeing a bunch of people on the side of a mountain looking for rocks or whatever it was they are looking for. I think the weather channel programming people have rocks in their heads these day. MAYBE, if you offered the WEATHER again on the weather channel, Directv subscribers would be more inclined to fight for you.

January 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Reply
    • Yb00cs

ha ha Jim Cantori......maybe you should go and stand sideways in another wind storm and pretend you care about something other than money

January 19, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Reply
  27. David Miller

The weather channel is important service I rely on it as a member of our local ambulance squad
    we gear up for conditions extra blankets for cold weather water for hot days.
    I give the weather channel credit for coverage the blizzard in 1993
    is a few cents worth disruption of service?
    David Miller

January 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Reply
    • Dan N

david miller. If your squad depends on the weather channel for information on the current weather and forecasts I am for one GLAD I am now where near you and ur service!! How about you use the real source of all this information? The NWS!!! Holy cow! an emergency service using something like TWC for information is like asking Ford Motors about how to repair a 1963 VW!!!

January 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Reply
    • Bill Wilburn

You're kidding, right? You have NO local weather coverage (you didn't give your location) or NWS radio for ACCURATE information? Where are you...Middle Of Noplace?

January 20, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  28. Jenn

The weather channel has become nothing more than reality shows so unless it changes it's format back to what made them a name i can live without them on directtv. Last year I saw the sky around my house start to get very dark and when I looked on weather channel to see what was coming there was some sort of reality show and nothing about the storm we were getting. The local channels had more about it than the weather channel.

January 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  29. Jim Coleman

I've been watching Jim Cantore and the weather channel folks through too many hurricanes to count. THey are always number one with me. If Direct TV doesn't distribute your programming - so what! I'll find you somehow. Your weather coverage during storms is unbeatable. We always know we're in deep trouble when Jim is sent to our area! (Jim, you are always welcome here - just not during a hurricane!) You guys are great and not irreplaceable. Keep up the good work!!!

January 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  30. spider

everytime i tune in to twc some silly ass show is on ,so i'm glad directv dropped them, they twc is not god like they think they are !!! hope they go down like the dixie chicks did for their silly remarks !! bring on the weather nation, and accu weather will be having their own show also,bring them on !!!

January 19, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  31. Pat Donovan

I like to see the Weather information, not some dumb ass pulling truck out of snow or some other crap. I used to use the local wether info to keep up with the local weather and other places where friends and family live but that's not available now. If they get the contact dispute fixed up I would would pleased but I've found that all those things I liked area available online without all the bullshit reality crap. The Weather nation sucks but at least there is wether information.

January 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Reply
  32. Glenn

The Weather Channel was the only channel for weather we could get on Direct TV, as they do not offer local channels in our area.

January 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  33. Tricia Westing

Jim Cantore, your so called weather network is nothing but a Liberal propaganda machine. Your station is owned by NBC and that is the problem. Not to mention, your big overblown personality!

January 19, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  34. joe barrett

I think the weather channel has been going down hill for years. You hear thunder and look out side and you see the
    the line of black clouds and lighting coming at you and you go and put the W/ C on and they have some show on
    about gold or some other show .

January 19, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Reply
    • peach

Yes Joe, I would have to agree with you. THEY USED to have the weather on, but now, all they have is reality shows. MAYBE a little weather here and there BUT it sure isn't what it used to be back when you could RELY on it for the weather.

January 19, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Reply
  35. Ken

Cantore tried to make himself sound like a God.

January 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Reply
  36. t.k. luikart

i think this is so stupid taking off the weather channel on directv. directv keeps digging themselves further and further into the hole taking off all the good channels. now directv has this generic weather show on that channel no. directv needs to get there act together or everyone should drom them and go to the dish network.

thanks

January 19, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Reply
  37. Glenn Hester

Bring back the Weather Channel to Directv. The Weather Nation they have on there now does not cover local areas as they promise. False advertising.

January 19, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Reply
    • dmsamuel

jGlenn is so right. There isn't anything local on the Weather Nation. Tried to find a way to get some local weather information and wasn't possible. Weather channel on direct TV I could check the weather on my time when I needed to. The weather nation seems to forget that there is a big area of the country between Chicago and Denver. Those of us that live in the northern states like being able to watch the weather to know if storms are coming or if beautiful weather is coming. Please, please give us back our Weather Channel on Direct TV>

January 19, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Reply
  38. page howe

i think weather channel should be on directtv, if it were still the weather channel. are you there for me when i need you, when i want to get a weather update to protect my family and property, i dont want to see coast guard, funny cat pics, hypethtetical weather. for that start a weather drama channel but if want the incumbant benefits of being THE weather channel, than stop being so greedy and trying to maximize every dime , its going to hurt, your going to have to gve me weather content when you could make more with tv shows, but s thats why im willing to pay thru my cable or satellite bill for the weather channel. so i say kudos to directv, i want weather on 362 and if the weather channel wants to do something else, give up the spot. ever though your stockholders and execs want to have it all, you cant, the consumer speaks and wants weather.

stop saying your for the consumer when your are for yourselves.

page howe
    manchester tn

January 19, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  39. Dave Campbell

What an egotistical jerk Cantore is.

January 19, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Reply