Sunday, September 28

The role of journalist during wartime; Did NFL ties lead ESPN to suspend analyst? Jorge Ramos' opinion on immigration in the media; ABC's handling of Miss America controversy.

March 23rd, 2014

Too much missing plane coverage?

CNN's Brian Stelter and Erik Wemple of The Washington Post on the praise and criticism of wall-to-wall plane coverage.

1. Chirs

I just want to add one other thing. This is nothing new. I have seen viewers on their website complain about this exact issue for years while CNN simply ignores the complaints and not only persist but has expanded supperficial irrelivant coverage, such as the missing plane, while ignoring relivant and important news stories. I am under the impression that CNN simply doesn't care what its viewers want or think and in the process grows incresingly irrelevant as a reliable source of being informed and educated about the world. It just makes no sense to me...

May 14, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  2. Chirs

Increasing tensions with China, Japan and the Phillipines, Ukraine and Russia, Civil War in Syria, Terrorist Abducting hundreds of school girls in Nigeria, Civil strife in Egypt, economic crisis and recovery in Europe, North Korea's drones, nuclear talks with Iran, continued US toop involvment in Afghanastan, and with 24 hours of broadcast time all day everyday all CNN can talk about is Donald Sterling the missing plane and an elevator brawl with a couple of singers. I don't understand why CNN obsesses over every little detail of insiginificant stories like these while ignoring actual news that is actually interesting and at the same time educates and informs the public about events around the world. I have stopped watching CNN, not in protest or anything like that. I have stopped watching because it is incredibly boring and uninteresting. I have absolutly given up on CNN. I despise FOX News and MSNBC is only slightly better than CNN as far as news, but is a little to far to the left for me on comentary. Its sad that in the freest country in the world and I have to use foriegn broadcast news sources like the BBC and Al Jazeera to find interesting and informed news. There was a time when CNN was relivant as a news source, its sad to say that this is no longer the case.

May 14, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  3. Cedric

Back in 2001, I was in college, a political science major and just young and naive, I thought it was great that I knew the line up and names of CNN shows. I thought I was well informed. Now I know that cable news watchers of all ilk's are misinformed. The standards of news are so low that CNN has become a laughing stock and captains of speculation from the WHCD to SNL. Now they have brought in an "expert" to put on their own channel for the purpose of justifying their ridiculous antics. I remember when only FOX news engaged in low standards followed by "I know you are but what am I" or, "They are just doing this for the ratings" or "they do it too". YOU ARE NOT AN ADULT CHANNEL ANYMORE CNN, YOU ARE A BOOB CHANNEL, A CHANNEL FOR BOOBS! Show us your standards when it comes to journalism, oh yeah, I forgot it's about sensationalism leading to the almighty dollar. In a time when The Daily Show has more journalistic value than CNN, The channel should not be able to use any words or terms lending any legitimacy to your organization. The problem has been and will be the American publics low standards for almost everything. CNN what a disappointment you are!

May 11, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  4. bkw

I no longer even tune into to CNN because of the constant lost plane coverage and "breaking news" that isn't. They apparently fail to realize that habits change and former CNN viewrs are forming other than CNN habits. It's bewildering that they apparently haven't a clue.

April 25, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  5. PBGold

All I watch is CNN for news other than my local networks. CNN please report on something other than this missing plane. I understand it is quite a mystery and an awful tragedy but I need to know what else is going on in the world. I can't bring myself to watch Fox. Please help!!!!

April 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Reply
  6. Jim

In my break room at work CNN is always on. Most of the time there are five to ten people watching the news. Since CNN started giving so much attention to the lost plane no one is watching. If I ran a tv network this would be bad news.

April 24, 2014 at 11:13 pm | Reply
  7. Greg Gilbert

While the crisis in Ukraine risks a new European war, CNN focuses on the issue of exactly which part of the oceans the plane crashed.

A full on effort to locate the plane could cost 240 million $. How many lives could be saved if this kind of money were spent on clean water wells or other developmental aid projects?

April 20, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  8. Christi

CNN's coverage of the missing plane is so over-the-top absurd, it can be nothing other than a deliberate attempt to ruin the reputation of this news station. They used to be the source that I turned to and now I consider them to be right up there with Fox News so do not even turn to that channel. BBC and Aljazeera have definitely taken CNN's place for me.

April 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Reply
  9. Duke

Unfortunately for CNN, another avid CNN'er has changed the channel and skips the station entirely when it's time to watch the news. So much is happening and unfolding in Europe and they have devoted their broadcast schedule to the unfortunate events of Flight 370.

April 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  10. Bob Knowles

It is now April 16th and CNN is still obsessed with every detail of the missing flight. I no longer view CNN as a credible news source and have stopped watching them.

April 16, 2014 at 10:41 am | Reply
  11. Jarrick A

CNN is in a tailspin and this coverage of Flight 370 may very well be the nail in the coffin for the network. Pathetic that's all that can be said on this. The endless stream of experts parsing every bit of hearsay and rumor coming out on this story is a joke. A few weeks ago, Richard Quest was actually leading these "experts" in fake radio calls of the aircraft's final message. Really? How is this news? What happened to actually reporting the facts? There is not much of a story as long as there is no aircraft wreckage or black box found. This is not a top story and does not merit 30 minutes of coverage out of an hour. Mark my words if CNN keeps this up, it will doom this network. Pay very close attention to these posts and go back to a normal news cycle.

April 15, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Reply
  12. LPW2000

I have learned to live without CNN. Covering nothing. There is no plane. Very sad fact, but you can't cover it, especially non-stop for five weeks. SO MUCH ELSE going on in the world.

April 15, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Reply
  13. Jerry

I wish CNN would devote so much time to the ongoing scandals of the current administration. Let's find out the truth about the IRS, Fast and Furious and Benghazi.

April 11, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Reply
    • Richard

Really Jerry. Drop one non story for an even bigger non story. Go to Fox news and you can get all the coverage you need on those stories.

April 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Reply
  14. Rick Ross

This new owner of CNN who fires Piers because he speaks out against the NRA's interests, and the non-stop, tabloid style coverage of this plane and the poor, devastated families have finally put the nail in CNN's coffin for me. Not one for TV news in general, I use NPR, CBC almost exclusively. I used to watch CNN (particularly Crossfire why it came back recently) as an additional source of more "Americanized" news, but they've lost all my respect and, although I'm LOATH to admit it, I now have to watch MSNBC or (gagging sound) Fox, if I want American punditry. Shame, shame, shame CNN.... Shame :(

April 11, 2014 at 1:00 am | Reply
  15. Amanda

I'm highly annoyed about the enormous amount of coverage on the missing plane by CNN. It was initially very interesting, but as the weeks have stretched on, this topic holds less and less interest. Not that this issue isn't sad and serious, but it certainly doesn't merit "breaking news" updates from the CNN app on my phone every hour. There are many other topics I feel ought to have more coverage instead of the news surprise surprise, nothing has changed in regards to the missing Malaysian flight. Highly disappointed in CNN.

April 11, 2014 at 12:09 am | Reply
  16. Sharon

Found out how good BBC and Aljazeere are since turning off CNN for their CRAZY!!! over the top coverage of plane!

April 10, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  17. Don F

It's a resounding yes. CNN has lost many viewers because of this story. CNN should be ashamed of itself.

April 9, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  18. Paul

It's absolutely pathetic. I understand they want ratings and cover as much as possible on 370 but come on. How many times do they need to play the sound of the pinger? Perhaps they should play other sounds, so as to not confuse them with the pinger? like the sound of dolphins, whales, seagulls, crashing waves or maybe even a wrist watch? The viewer must be made aware of the difference between a watch and a pinger.
    CNN is running out of ideas and desperate for something new. Perhaps they should gather a group of psychics and conduct a seance to find out what happened from the dead. Laugh, but it would not surprise me one bit. Not one bit.

April 9, 2014 at 10:30 am | Reply
  19. Clint

I know it's sad for the families of the victims of flight 370, BUT CNN,WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?. One day of 24 hour coverage is too much but you've been covering this story non-stop for FOUR WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did the execs that run your network lose some crazy bet? Are you trying to drive this network into the ground? NO-ONE IS WATCHING! It is highly irresponsible to ignore ALL the other news going on in the World!!!!!!! You are officially THE WORST NEWS NETWORK,IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!

April 9, 2014 at 1:56 am | Reply
  20. bkw

When I want to watch the news on TV, I now automatcally avoid CNN because of their chronic coverage of the Malaysia crash. An unintended consequence CNN isn't banking is that people who previously got their news from CNN will get out of that habit and turn elsewhere.

April 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  21. Ingrid Mahony

I regret the hours I've spent watching CNN's non-stop "breaking news" speculations about the missing plane when I could have been watching the NEWS elsewhere.

April 7, 2014 at 9:39 am | Reply
  22. Dennis

Are there no other news stories in the world. CNN is now something I turned off completely.
    They have adopted the Nancy Grace approach to riding one story till everyone is sick to death of it.
    Are you people crazy? I was a loyal viewer for years but now I'm done.
    Fox just attacks the black guy, MSNBC has gone one story on Gov Christy.
    USA has the worst news networks. Hello PBS News Hour – the only place left with actual news.

April 6, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  23. jon t.

o.k.!!! I know there was a plane that we cant find, but I depend on cnn for news!!!! get back to me when theres news to report!!! thinking about land slides, earthquakes, what about real news?? get back to us when there is something to report the plane!!

April 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  24. Bill

If there were NEW news to report, I could understand the coverage. But Anderson, Wolf, Piers, Erin, and now Don Lemon all say the same thing... NOTHING!.. I love CNN, but have out them on hiatus until they decide to report on other more pressing matters.

April 2, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  25. Cmoore

Breaking news
    Breaking news I'm going to stop watching CNN
    I guess it's time to go back to watching Fix news I'm sorry Fox News.

April 1, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  26. Jay

Good bye CNN.
    I have lost all respect for the network and any anchor who just spews speculation non-stop. I have not watched CNN sense I saw Don Lemon on with a panel of "experts" answering twitter questions. There was a crazy question about a possible micro black whole and the so called experts said a black hole would destroy the entire universe.I did get a really good laugh but I then took CNN off my Car radio favorites and my Cable Favorites. To not cover things that actually have facts to report on and to speculate just changed the network from a news organization to cables first non stop speculation and crazy theory channel. I blame the anchors as much as the producers, its too bad i actually thought some of them had a back bone.

April 1, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Reply
  27. Linda Rogers

When absolutely EVERY show on CNN (from morning to night) covers NOTHING BUT THE MISSING PLANE, something is seriously wrong over at CNN.

I kept thinking it was simply bad timing on my part, but I've monitored them for the last three days and nights and I mean EVERY news show (supposedly) covers nothing but the missing plane. And worst, constant Beaking News captions are highlighted with ridiculous contents of '5 ships now searching', '5 ships arrive at search zone', 'Malaysian families demand answers'.... SERIOUSLY, this is breaking news???

And just how many wall to wall experts are needed to SPECULATE??? Every show has at least three. I realize CNN has paid these people but it's insane to haul them out every day, all day.

And how many ways can they show the same cabin simulation, how the black box bing works, how the bing sounds, how it should sound, how it might have sounded, and on and on. Today, they even gave its viewers a lesson on 'how deep the ocean is' right smack in the middle of the missing plane coverage.

Has CNN lost its fricking mind?????

April 1, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  28. David Hernandez

Absolutely way too much airtime on missing Maylasian plane! They are ignoring some much other relevant news in the US and the world! I don't care about the missing plane. I'm switching to BBC, local news and other more important news channels. CNN this is truly a turning point for me and a low point to CNN.

April 1, 2014 at 9:16 am | Reply
  29. JL Fuqua

Other respondents have covered the sheer mindlessness of CNN's wall-to-wall coverage of Flight 370. (On March 12 CNN devoted 256 minutes of 275 minutes of air time to the story–wow, that might qualify as having a laser-like focus) A tragic event to be sure, but CNN's coverage has crossed the bounds of propriety–zombie planes, cosmic intervention (black holes, really?) Gee, I wonder if anything else is happening in the world–violence in Nigeria; unrest in Venezuela; instability in Ukraine; the upcoming vote in Scotland for independence from the UK? And the list goes on.

I wonder if the network has given thought to the long-term impact to its brand by its new tact. Short-term ratings may have risen, but at what cost to its reputation and loyal viewership? And, are the increased number of viewers tuning in for the long-term or just for this particular crisis?–CNN will be chasing these "flash in the pan" viewers for the foreseeable future. I have been a staunch fan of CNN since the 1990s–I always regarded it as a trusted news source, but now I'm not sure what the network is. I for one am so exasperated that I removed the CNN mobile app from my phone–every non-event in the story was being treated as breaking news. Thanks goodness I have Direct TV–Al Jazeera America is a great alternative–an opinion shared by Tony Harris, Joie Chen, Ali Velshi and other big name journalists. Al Jazeera America, BBC and PBS provide news the way it was meant to be–to educate, inform and facilitate public discourse.

March 29, 2014 at 10:34 am | Reply
  30. terry

enough with this plane missing already!!!! ive been around the world twice and to two state fairs and ive never seen nothing like this!! all this coverage is pathetic!!!!! here we are getting ready to get nuked by russia eventually and all those poor families and people dead in washington from the mud slide, and all cnn wants to talk about is a plane that went missing that nobody will ever see again, and talking about hope that the passengers are still alive!!!!!! GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!! Give us a break!!!!! Get in the real world people before i get my gun and blow my tv to smithereens!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with people these days!!! Whats even worse is the families of those on the flight want to raise hell and blame EVERYONE for the accident!!!! That is REALLY INSANE!!!!! Move on people! you aint going to see your loved ones anymore here on this planet so deal with it and quit trying to blame the goverment, the news and the pope and everyone else for your misfortune. I dont think any of those people were flying that plane!!!!!!! Get REALLLLLLLLL!!!!!

March 28, 2014 at 6:16 am | Reply
  31. Ray Bright

For a lagging network, with little to no investigative ambition, hollow gimmicks, lacking in the courage to report the news . . . this stupidity doesn't surprise me. Once you've beaten the horse dead, you follow it into the spiritual realm. Of course you do. In 5 years there will be no CNN, and no one will notice.

March 25, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  32. Name*Annette Green

All I want to say about how things were handled with Malaysia authorities or whom is leading this search about this plane. I am appalled on how they text the survivors-living family members that their lost family members are lost. I believe it is too soon to say this. They are still where they were a week ago into this search. All they told them in all actuality that they just are giving up, like they had enough and that is a way to blow them off just to get rid of the china people I am an American and live in Florida and I believe if they were living in America they would have been treated a whole lot different and we would have not jumped the gun on wither they were dead or alive until we had a piece of the plane. Lost and them being dead are 2 very different tthings. Like our country we have amber alerts when children are missing and if they find out they were murdered I know for a fact the police would not text the parents to say hey your child is dead. That was very cold way of telling someone that their loved ones are never coming back by text message. I am sure every American feels the same way I do

March 24, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  33. James Hebert

How unkind of CNN to exploit the moment of deep and personal grief that came onto the families of flight 370 when they got final confirmation on the fate of their dear ones by broadcasting footage of that moment. Then, how petty to create a story about family members lashing out at photographers sent there to gawk at their anguish.

March 24, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  34. Kelly Carter

Thank God I discontinued my TV service. But when visiting family who pay for TV, I am appalled at the round-the-clock speculation and NON-news coverage by CNN for the lost plane. There are other, more important news events happening in the world being largely ignored by CNN. Whatever happened to journalism? If I were associated with CNN, I'd be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed because Atlanta is my place of birth, and I used to be proud of CNN. No longer.

March 24, 2014 at 9:44 am | Reply
  35. Coolwater

I'm abosolutely fed up with CNN. You have blown this story out of proportion, and you do this whenever a hurricane or bad weather happens, but this is the worst. Fox News complained about CNN giving too much coverage of this story and they are right. And guess what? I'm a progressive and I hate Fox News!!! Its obvious that CNN has sold their credibility to the ratings race, and for that, I'm going to stop watching CNN. Your repetitive reporting discredits your duty as a news network and I'm at wits end. While this story is a tragedy, its unbelievable how you focus on this story so much when we live in such a huge country and a huge world.

I've trusted you as my primary news source for 7 years now, but this is it. I'm done with this repetitive reporting. I'm defecting to MSNBC.

March 24, 2014 at 1:21 am | Reply
  36. Richard

Absolutely way too much airtime on missing Maylasian plane. It is though Fox News read my mind, and I absolutely despise Fox News. Their are so many other events going on in the world of far more consequence. It has practically been "wall to wall". Even my neighbors and friends have all made the same comment, and have stopped watching CNN. It is a disservice to our country to blanket the news, and block out all the many events of more importance than a missing plane. Many other planes have gone down before, and have not blinded our country from necessary information, that is a responsibility of a before trusted News Agency.

March 23, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Reply
    • Bud

I could not have said it better myself. You nailed it. I have had to switch to Fox to find out what is going on in the world, and I despise their negative approach to reporting.

March 29, 2014 at 7:56 am | Reply