Rula Jebreal and Jeffrey Goldberg discuss coverage of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict; Maziar Bahari on the recent arrests of journalists in Iran and his time spent in an Iranian prison
Al Jazeera English journalists Peter Greste, Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed were reporting in Cairo when they were arrested on December 29, 2013. The three men were convicted of terrorism-related offenses on Monday. They have strongly denied the charges.
A timeline of CNN coverage of the case:
· December 30: Al Jazeera demands Egypt release 4 journalists
· January 12: Two weeks into the ordeal, Al Jazeera correspondent Bernard Smith and Sherif Mansour of the Committee To Protect Journalists speak about "attacks on journalists" in Egypt:
· February 9: Amanpour on why she agreed with Al Jazeera English's managing editor that Egypt's actions are a "threat to journalists everywhere:"
· March 9: CNN international correspondent Sara Sidner on how she stepped in to file reports on Al Jazeera while the channel's own reporters are behind bars:
· May 25: "They should not be in those cages"
· June 16: Verdict in Al Jazeera trial expected June 23
· June 22: Greste's parents speak on "Reliable Sources:"