July 6th, 2014

Obama is (not) the worst president since World War II

After a (questionable) Quinnipiac poll generated headlines calling Barack Obama the worst president since World War II, presidential historian Julian Zelizer joins Brian Stelter to go beyond the media hype and place the poll results in context.

Here's how the university summarized the poll: "President Barack Obama is the worst president since World War II, 33 percent of American voters say in a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today. Another 28 percent pick President George W. Bush."

Zelizer said the poll "fuels a conversation about the problems with President Obama, and it will create some political problems for him potentially as people make these comparisons. But I don't think it tells us much about his presidency or how his presidency compares to those who came before him."

He cautioned that "the reputation of a president changes over time, very dramatically."

Filed under: Barack Obama • Reliable Sources
  1. Freddy19701

Dear Mr. Obama,

When I first saw you back in 2008. I have to admit, I got very excited. My knees got weak and I almost fainted. Since you was elected my life has never been better. I told my mortgage company to go to hell. I told me doctor to eat it. I now live on government checks and I must say I highly recommend it. Mr. Obama, you saved my life. Since you passed Obamacare I can't seem to stop crying tears of joy. My insurance rates went sky high but it's okay because you Mr. Obama have my back. I now pump gas in my car for free and just the other day I purchased a women's diaphragm and I didn't have to pay for it! Yay! I don't know what all you right wingers are complaining about. I love the fact that when I check the paper for jobs there aren't any. I love the fact that the world is in disarray. It makes for great TV and we all have you Mr. Obama to thank for it. In fact, I just saw an illegal Mexican family move in across the street with 15 kids. I think I'm going to go over there and introduce myself. See if they need to share my EBT card with them. I just purchased some choom and I need someone to share it with. Being that I no longer need to work or pay my mortgage, I think I'm going to invite my new neighbors over for some choom and show 'em my race card. Oh and Mr. Obama, I'm so glad your sticking it to whitey. As a white man myself, I believe it's time the white devil stop killing the blacks with machine guns. All of the white racist gangs need to stop shooting black people in Newark, Compton, Brooklyn and Chicago. Anyways, Mr. Obama I love you. You are my bestest friend.

Sincerely,
    A loyal supporter forever who sits home crying every time you appear on my free TV.

P.S. Sorry for the bad English. I guess this is what a world class Democrat education has given me. 🙂

July 11, 2014 at 11:11 pm | Reply
    • Evie

Hey Rick, you may want to do some research. All your problems didn't suddenly appear when PRESIDENT Obama stepped into the Oval Office. Your problems began when Bush " there ARE WMDs, REALLY" and his sidekick "shoot a friend" Cheney started lying to Americans. Ummm,,,,, how many of our brave soldiers died for that one lie alone? I guess when people are down on their luck, instead of looking at what choices THEY made it is easier to blame someone else. I am sure that some of your problems weren't created by you but stop blaming an easy target. Instead of sitting there crying get off your ass and do something, anything. Or go ask Romney and his buddies if they can give you some of his millions banked outside the country. Meanwhile, I'll just sit back in my room at the Langham Hotel in Boston, continue having my room service breakfast and then wander down to my spa appointment. Thank YOU President Obama. Life is great.

July 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Reply
      • Evie

This should have been addressed to Freddy – sorry, my second Mimosa must have kicked on. (Smile, wink, wink)

July 13, 2014 at 12:33 pm |
      • Freddy19701

> I guess when people are down on their luck, instead of looking at what choices THEY made it is easier to blame someone else

> Your problems began when Bush " there ARE WMDs, REALLY" and his sidekick "shoot a friend" Cheney started lying > to Americans.

July 14, 2014 at 9:38 am |
      • Freddy19701

Evie, last time I checked ...

1. WMD's didn't double the cost of my insurance and cause me to lose it!
        2. WMD's didn't put more people on welfare and on food stamps than anytime in American history!
        3. WMD's didn't add more to our debt than any other president in history!
        4. WMD's didn't allow a Chicago Ambulance Chaser to lie to people that they can keep their doctor!
        5. WMD's didn't allow the flood of 100,000 illegal aliens into our country and ask out of work tax payers to pay for it!
        6. WMD's didn't use the IRS to attack people they don't agree with and then lie that they "magically" lost emails!
        6. WMD's didn't let our Libyan ambassador to get slaughtered by terrorists so he can win an election!
        7. WMD's didn't bring our debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion (more than another pres in history) by 2017!
        8. WMD's didn't allow our soldiers to die in VA hospitals because he couldn't care less about his own military veterans!
        9. WMD's didn't hand over thousands of weapons to Mexican drug cartels (Fast and Furious) because he's a moron!
        10. WMD's didn't lower the labor participation rate to less than that of the 1970's because he's a socialist!
        11. WMD's didn't spend $1 billion of tax payer money on a website built by Canada that doesn't even work correctly!
        12. WMD's didn't use the NSA to spy on every living American's phone calls and even the ally foreign prime ministers!
        13 WMD's didn't allow Russia to take Crimea because the dictator of Russia saw the U.S. president as a vagina!
        14. WMD's didn't shut down charter schools in Washington while this piece of crap's kids get to go to private schools!
        15. WMD's doesn't play the race card every time he makes a mistake because he's a loser with no business experience!

Evie, keep drinking your cool aid, excuse me Mimosa. (Smile, wink, wink)

July 14, 2014 at 11:23 pm |
  2. Marie

Rick, You said it so eloquently. Everything you have said is the truth.

July 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Reply
  3. Rick

I strongly agree that Obama is in fact the worst president since WWII. He is clearly an imperialist that has little to no respect for the constitution or the checks and balances that it provides. He is arrogant and refuses to work with congress and seems to believe that he can make laws on his own unilaterally and total autonomously. He has hidden scandal after scandal, while claiming they are made up and baseless. It appears that he targets anyone that disagrees with him by illegally using the IRS, FBI, Homeland security and many other government entities to shut them up or punish them for their views. He has no respect for religion, except for Islam, and does everything possible to shut down any other religious freedom that is not Muslim. He has decimated the economy and set the country up for certain failure as well as run up nearly insurmountable debt and doesn't even address the issue or seem to care. His foreign policy is a joke that has reduced USA influence and effectiveness worldwide and his failure at protecting our boarders is criminal! How can anyone think this incompetent, arrogant, imperialist bully is anything but the "Worst President Ever" Let alone the worst since WWII? I only hope that the country I served and love survives his attack on our way of life and prosperity.

July 8, 2014 at 10:38 am | Reply