Sunday, October 26

Is cable news overreacting to an Ebola diagnosis in New York? Jay Carney on Obama's relationship with the press; Donna Rice Hughes on Monica Lewinsky's comeback.

August 17th, 2014

Fox News doctor: First Lady “needs to drop a few”

"How well could she be eating? She needs to drop a few," psychiatrist and Fox News commentator Dr. Keith Ablow said on the Fox program "Outnumbered" earlier this week.

Ablow was talking about Michelle Obama. He and some of the other commentators on "Outnumbered" were complaining about the first lady's campaign to make school lunches healthier.

So what responsibility do TV doctors like Ablow have to their audience? Brian Stelter asked Dr. Gail Saltz, a psychiatrist, author and television commentator.

"When you carry the label of M.D.," she said, "you're putting forth the idea that you are going to act with integrity; that you are going to go by, frankly, American psychiatric guidelines, which is not to diagnose someone that you have ever met," etcetera.

"To be criticizing people kind of willy-nilly is - I don't think meets the Hippocratic oath. And it undermines the way the public sees mental health professionals, which is what concerns me the most."

Filed under: Reliable Sources
  1. GetReal

That's right buddy. Your patients must adore you. Do you call them fat too? And here's a tip – how about a vest to cover whatever is going on just above your belt line.

August 19, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  2. Name*Dwight Redwood

@Dynamitesevice....Where the hell you get info the first lady is a size 20 dress? Mrs Obama wears a size 8 dress
    Typical rightwing troll, FauxNews watching, low information voter. Never let actaul facts get in the way

August 18, 2014 at 9:41 am | Reply
  3. belinda

Only Republicans, would come down on nutrition. I go to the grocery store and cringe when I see mothers with small children, that have nothing but cereal and cookies and processed food and no vegetables and no fruit in they're grocery carts !!!! It should be against the law as far as I'm concerned. That's what Republicans, want for our kids. It's sad, especially, when you consider that Ablow is a Doctor. Is that what you call selling out ??? Republicans, have supported a lot of foolish things in the past, but this takes the cake, get it ??? Space cases and they don't even smoke pot.

August 17, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Reply
  4. belinda

He's a doctor ? All of this time I thought he was a pretend doctor. After all, it's FOX news. Doesn't he know he took an oath to do no harm . How can he be a Republican ?

August 17, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Reply
  5. Paul Maloney

I couldn't help but notice that the psychiatrist is obese himself. Look at the rolls of fat around his waist. If he doesn't have a BMI of at least 30 I'll eat my hat.

August 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  6. never happen

Sounds to me that the Right-wing is still pouting because Obama easily beat them twice.
    It is called respect, something I dont have in regards to the GOP.

August 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Reply
  7. dynamiteservice

Well, she is fat. What is is about size 20 dresses you don't understand?
    Typical liberal...do as I say not as I do.

August 17, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Reply
    • Discuss

Petty psychiatrist, didn't find anything to psychologize about on a slow day

August 17, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Reply
    • Don Don

Fat? She is the most fit First Lady we have EVER had.

August 20, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Reply