August 24th, 2014

Web Exclusive: the story behind an iconic photo from Ferguson, Missouri

In his first interview, Edward Crawford tells Brian Stelter the story behind the now-iconic picture of him clutching a bag of chips in one hand and a tear gas canister in the other amid a raucous protest in Ferguson, Missouri.

The photo - taken by St. Louis Post-Dispatch photographer Robert Cohen - has been printed onto T-shirts, repurposed by artists, even plastered onto cell phone cases. On Twitter, it's been favorably compared to pictures from revolutions overseas - but also falsely cited as proof of violence committed by protesters.

"Before the photo was taken, the canister... was shot and it landed a couple of feet away from me and some children standing on the sidewalk," Crawford said.

He said he was "not throwing the canister at the police; I was merely getting the canister away from me and the kids."

Toward the end of the interview Stelter asked:

STELTER: Are you ready for the press to pack up and leave - or are you happy they're there, to shine a light on this issue?

CRAWFORD: I am happy the media is in my town, because this attention that we're getting, I just hope we turn it into something positive. With the attention, I hope our voices are heard and I hope our pain is felt by America. So, I don't want the cameras to leave. I hope they stay here as long as they can and just capture positive moments, positive protests.

Filed under: Reliable Sources
  1. Sports

Zune and iPod: Most people today look at the Zune toward the Touch, still just after watching how slim and amazingly minimal and mild it is, I look at it toward be a as an alternative unique hybrid that combines characteristics of the two the Contact and the Nano. It can be extremely colourful and magnificent OLED exhibit is somewhat scaled-down than the contact screen, but the player by itself feels Really a little bit lesser and lighter. It weighs over 2/3 as substantially, and is appreciably smaller within just width and top, When staying simply a hair thicker.

November 15, 2016 at 11:48 am | Reply
  2. Luciano Peddy

Asking questions are genuinely good thing if you are not understanding something completely, except this piece of writing offers nice understanding yet.|

November 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  3. jdavidsen

You're not sharpening your writing at all. "I bet" and "probably" just reinforce soggy-brain syndrome.

October 13, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  4. MOOMOO

Every time I watch Brian Stelter I wonder who's kid he is or who he's related to in mgmt at the network. Clearly he got the job at CNN for some reason other than being a good anchor due to the fact that he has marbles in his mouth every time he speaks. He cuts a lot of words short or just kind of drifts through the end of some words, leaving you to fill in the blanks as you listen. Reading the news used to require the skill of enunciating every word properly. He needs a speech coach.

August 30, 2014 at 11:14 am | Reply
  5. A

Thank you, Brian Stelter for your research and investigative reporting.

August 28, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  6. antiniggernews1

I bet that there were kids that late at night. If there were, then I'm sure they were Negro kids because only a Negro would be stupid enough to bring their kids out rioting with them. Probably using them as human shields same as Hamas. I bet the retard paid for those chips too. Great article CNN, really goes to show what amazing staff you have working for you. It's almost as amazing as you essentially posting a map to the cop's house.

August 25, 2014 at 6:59 am | Reply
    • Jeff Bo

Wow, dude, as much as you might deserve it, I hope you don't suffer the same hatred you're spewing. Sounds like you're already destroying yourself with your anger anyway. I can't really believe there are still people out there that think this way.
      I hope you get better.

August 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Reply
      • antiniggernews1

@Jeff Bo, The funny part is that I don't really care what you think...I actually just do this from my phone or in my spare time when I'm getting ready for this or that to alleviate boredom. I actually just started a number of other blogs too, about food, fashion, etc and just use this one to keep my writing sharp. But, I think you'd be surprised as to how many people are following this particular blog...

August 31, 2014 at 8:17 am |
      • antiniggernews1

Hate? Was what I said hateful to think that parents should do better then let their kids out late at night when there's a riot happening? Then, is it hatred to say that the kids would probably be niggers since the majority of the rioters were niggers? As much as I hate to say it, ignorance is the opiate of the masses and morons like you will always outnumber people like me. While I'd love for you to be able to think critically about a situation and then give a reasoned concurrence or argument about it, we both know that all you'll do is spew liberal garbage about how this shouldn't even be called a riot, it should be called a "peaceful demonstration" that happens to have a bunch of people destroying buildings and attacking police. How it was a "mixed race" riot because you could find the 1% of the non-nigger crowd and put them on the news...of course, every shot they're surrounded by the nigger.

My parents taught me to call a spade a spade and when a nigger is acting like a nigger, I'll call him a nigger. That being said, I'm the first to offer praise when the 1 in 10 black man speaks out about the behavior of the nigger. Feel free to read my blog, you'll probably gain a few IQ points.

November 3, 2014 at 11:24 pm |