February 19th, 2012

Backlash Sidelines Reporter

Local DC reporter Andrea McCarren talks to Howard Kurtz about the vitriol she has faced following her reporting on underage drinking.

Filed under: Reliable Sources
  1. Phil

The woman reporter tries to turn the matter into a phony issue of socioeconomic class, as if kids of all classes do not drink. And why is she so much more concerned about the safety issues of affluent, underage kids having a beer as opposed to adults drinking whiskey? Her calling the cops on the kids was a cheap ploy for a story to report. She instead could have posted a tweet warning the kids she would call the cops.

February 26, 2012 at 3:11 am | Reply
  2. John Wolf

Great story and well put. This is a chronic problem with the affluent suburban society which has been created in recent years. These kids think they are above the law, and usually get away with their usual bad behavior.

February 22, 2012 at 9:04 am | Reply
  3. Kimberly Reed

WAY to go Andrea! As a parent and educator; this attitude of parental ignorance,denial,and the willingness to allow their child to participate is not surprising to me. I taught in a very affluent school where most of the kids had money, fancy cars, and whatever else they needed. Along with this, Parents even supplying the alcohol...with one bragging about it and even justifying it by saying,"they spent the night so they didn't have to drive drunk!" I believe Parents are so concerned with their child being popular,or not being left out., they in return.....allow their child /or themselves to participate in allowing this illegal activity to take place. Another sad part,no one wants to be the parent or legal adult. What does this say to the child? I understand why our young people have no respect for adults, or even the law. Our adults are setting the example. Thank you, and "I hope" that one parent will recognize the "example" they are living in front of their child. I just wish the adults and parents giving/selling the alcohol would be effected by such a huge lawsuit or prison time. To me, the life of one of these young people is well worth going through the arguments from a teenager, or the debate of the issue. I wanted to write to encourage you and say,Thanks for taking a stand and sharing the truth.

February 21, 2012 at 12:39 am | Reply
  4. Kathy Chamberlain

I was greatly disappointed in CNN's geographical ignorance on the story about illegal sales of alcohol to minors "in Washington DC". I watched it while in an airport waiting area, so witnessed some of the affect of the mis-reporting. The illegal sales actually took place in Gaithersburg, Maryland, an affluent suburb of DC. Andrea McCarren said the word "Gaithersburg" in her story, but Howard Kurtz kept saying Washingtn DC, as did the caption– not Washington DC area. I overheard a fellow passengers comment that it shouldn't be a surprise that DC would have this problem. Wasn't Marion Barry the mayor? (more ignorance) I am a long-time community involved DC resident, and I believe that the sale of alcohol is strictly controlled in Washington DC. You have done damage to the reputation of the city. Would you report a story from New Jersey and call it New York? This type of innacuracy is not trivial, and a news organization of CNN's caliber should do better.

February 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Reply
    • Laxman

hello there and thank you for your info Ie2€™ve certainly peckid up anything new from right here. I did on the other hand expertise some technical issues making use of this site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this once more very soon..

March 5, 2012 at 12:32 am | Reply
      • Xayal

MaryGood job, Air Force. While you're at it, why don't you just piss on them like you like you probably did while they were alive. P.S I can't sign in with my Twitter uoaccnt.

April 4, 2012 at 9:38 am |