How Petraeus courted the press
November 14th, 2012

How Petraeus courted the press

By Howard Kurtz, CNN

Editor's note: Howard Kurtz is the host of CNN's "Reliable Sources" and is Newsweek's Washington bureau chief. He is also a contributor to the website Daily Download.

(CNN) - David Petraeus had another love affair long before the one that cost him his job running the CIA.

It was with the press.

The retired general's skillful courtship of journalists brought him a career's worth of favorable headlines and has, to a remarkable degree, softened the coverage of his fall from grace. Petraeus accomplished this in part by granting reporters access - though none quite as extraordinary as that accorded his biographer, Paula Broadwell, who several news organizations have identified as the other woman in the extramarital affair he has acknowledged.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Blog • David Petraeus • Reliable Sources
  1. Jeffery Dobrich

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again!

March 6, 2021 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  2. Ruthe Evertsen

March 4, 2021 at 9:43 am | Reply
  3. Buy Real Facebook Fanpage Likes

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd most certainly donate to this outstanding blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

February 27, 2021 at 4:33 am | Reply
  4. Boost Facebook Likes

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!

February 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  5. Yuko Cinotto

I have been reading out some of your posts and i can claim clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

January 28, 2021 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  6. Demarcus Krough

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

January 21, 2021 at 5:03 am | Reply
  7. Jenniffer Ackerman

Bonjour On dirait que les thèmes de ce concis debrieffing requierent d’avantage de valeurs; Votre tournure peut paraitre recevable or je ne defend pas les différents avis plus anciens! il faudrait ajouter quelques valeurs pour plus de professionalisme! Merci

January 12, 2021 at 2:15 am | Reply
  8. Sunny Sarac

I do trust all of the concepts you’ve presented for your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for newbies. May just you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

January 11, 2021 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  9. Ross Brenner

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

January 11, 2021 at 1:45 am | Reply
  10. Ralph Pesiri

The first thing required by the food stamp office is an application. Most counties have an online application process. The electronic application allows the process to get started the moment the application is submitted. Paper applications will be accepted, but the process will take longer than an electronic application. Most food stamp offices have computers available for applicants filling out electronic applications. Workers will be available on hand to answer any questions about the application you may have. -.

Brand new posting on our web blog
    <http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/bruised-sternum/

May 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  11. Pharmb374

Hello! aabbefe interesting aabbefe site! I'm really like it! Very, very aabbefe good!

December 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  12. Pharmd712

Very nice site!

December 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  13. Pharma705

Hello! ckffdfg interesting ckffdfg site! I'm really like it! Very, very ckffdfg good!

December 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  14. normen

I have to say this before I scream. I typed this to the"other organizations like meet the press THis week, and the likes. I am abosolutely amazed at the many .. the news organizations having Newt Gingrich [of all people] to commnet on Patreus' extramarietal afffairs. At least they didn't have Clinton on record.

1) Not one anchor during the interview has the journalistic integrity to bring up his past indiscressions as mirror of a public figure whethering an extramariatail scandal. OK, I'll play the game.>

2)The game from the same guy who just weeks before the election doubled down on his "food stamps president" commnet. Come on!! How do you let Gingrich chastise Romeny and not call him on accusing President Obama of virtually the same thing. Are you kidding me !??! Is this a sick joke at the media's expense?

'Some' of you guys/girls don't get it. Or maybe you do & we're all caught in this game.

The reason a multitude of organizations choose to focus on Patraus' record over his indiscrstion is he is one of the few Republicans who who did thier dirt but didn't hypocritically stand in judement of other's like Romney, Gingrich.

& you would think when they come on air, the public wouldn't be rendered the appearance of disrespect. The " Ok,elections over, since you're no longer running for office, we won't ask you that any more."

While you ask Gingrich and the likes to commnet on something we're asking of the president. What's that word...Hmm??? Oh yeah accountability...

Pot > meet skilet. Where is the journalisitc integrity?

Just saying.. whenever you book your guest, more thought needs to be put into the delivery.There's areason "crossfire" is no longer on the air. Always having an opposing view doesn't make you look neutral, it makes you look like a joke.

Normen