What we’re reading this week
April 18th, 2013

What we’re reading this week

By Laura Koran, CNN

On this week’s show, we will be taking a look at the media’s hits and misses covering the attack on the Boston Marathon. Tune in for that on Sunday, and see what other stories caught our attention this week right here.

The wisdom of Mr. Rogers: In the aftermath of terrible tragedies, such as the Boston Marathon bombings, people tend to seek out examples of human kindness to dispel the notion that the world is a dark and hateful place. It is not surprising then, that a meme featuring the beloved children’s show host Mr. Rogers has gone viral since Monday’s terrorist attack. The image, circulating on social media sites, displays one of Mr. Rogers’ classic, heartfelt musings: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things on the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’” As Reverend J.C. Austin points out, these simple words hold a deeper truth, and serve as a powerful reminder that the “helpers” are more powerful than the “haters.”

Is brevity the soul of good reporting? A chart recently released by Dean Starkman of Columbia Journalism Review shows that the number of long-form stories (in this case, stories with more than 2,500 words) published by The Wall Street Journal has declined significantly over the past decade. The paper responded to the chart saying in part, “The number of words in an article has never been the barometer by which the quality of a publication or its value to readers should be measured.” But many, including Alexis C. Madrigal of The Atlantic, are left wondering whether this new preference for shorter news stories can be attributed to the robust paywall on the paper’s website.

A fly on the wall: New York Times reporter Brian Stelter caught a truly lucky break when he was tipped off about a lunch between “Today” host Matt Lauer, and his former co-host Meredith Viera. That lunchtime chat, which Stelter surreptitiously eavesdropped on from the bar at New York restaurant Park Avenue Spring, provided the closing anecdote for Stelter’s new book, “Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV,” which releases next week. Stelter recounts how Viera reassured Lauer that the slew of negative media coverage of his involvement in Ann Curry’s removal from the show would soon pass, telling him, “It’ll be O.K.”

Learning from history: A new documentary short premiering at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival takes a look at The New York Times’ dismal coverage of the Holocaust during World War II. The film, “Reporting on the Times,” is the work of 22-year old filmmaker Emily Harrold, who hopes her movie can serve as a warning to news organizations covering (or not covering) human rights crises today. The Times has long been criticized for under-reporting on the Holocaust; criticism that the paper itself has called, “valid.”

Posted by
Filed under: Matt Lauer • Media • Media Criticism • Mr. Rogers • NBC • New York Times • Today • Wall Street Journal • What we're reading
  1. 포커에이스

586919 753169Fascinating point of view. Im curious to think what type of impact this would have globally? Sometimes men and women get just a little upset with global expansion. Ill be about soon to have a look at your response. 115325

March 29, 2021 at 12:47 pm | Reply
  2. stiahlvqqn

Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?

March 26, 2021 at 8:20 pm | Reply
  3. Tow Truck Waterbury

4025 619869I dont normally take a look at these kinds of websites (Im a pretty shy person) – but even though I was a bit shocked as I was reading, I was undoubtedly a bit excited as effectively. Thanks for giving me a big smile for the day 466541

March 13, 2021 at 10:42 am | Reply
  4. Carri Bennington

I've recently started a web site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work.

March 6, 2021 at 2:31 pm | Reply
  5. Santiago Suchla

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

March 4, 2021 at 10:25 am | Reply
  6. Clifton Coyt

March 4, 2021 at 9:39 am | Reply
  7. residential playground equipment

children's professional playground equipment pictures

February 24, 2021 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  8. Lashandra Portz

Hi there! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great data you have here on this post. I might be coming again to your blog for more soon.

February 21, 2021 at 11:03 am | Reply
  9. Increase Twitter Followers

I would like to get across my respect for your kindness giving support to folks that have the need for help on the question. Your real commitment to getting the solution throughout appeared to be amazingly invaluable and have specifically made those just like me to get to their endeavors. The interesting help and advice means a whole lot to me and substantially more to my office workers. Warm regards; from all of us.

January 31, 2021 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  10. Elliot Nassar

I have recently started a blog, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.

January 28, 2021 at 10:00 pm | Reply
  11. Leslee Stilgenbauer

You are my intake , I have few web logs and sometimes run out from to post .

January 28, 2021 at 10:00 pm | Reply
  12. Larry Francois

Media, is it just me, or have the national media forgot the tragedy in West Texas. Please don't get me wrong, all my prayers and thoughts go the victims in Boston. But to totally and purposely omit any mentioning of the fertilizer incident is just plain disrespectful. In viewing some of the major networks news Saturday, some major stations did not even say one word about the West explosion. There are things we would like to know, what's the death count, how many are injured, whats the status of the investigation, personal stories about the first responders, just to name a few areas of interest.
    In contrast, the news channels covered every second of the Boston case, from human behavior of the suspects to structure damage of a restaurant damage by the pressure cooker bomb. Thank you Mr. President for saying something about the victims of West Texas.

My 2 cents