What we're reading this week...
Getty Images
June 14th, 2013

What we're reading this week...

By Elizabeth Cherneff – CNN

This week on Reliable Sources, we’ll continue to discuss media coverage and fallout since former intelligence worker Edward Snowden revealed himself as the source of leaked documents outlining the NSA’s surveillance programs. In the meantime, here are some other stories that caught our eye this week:

‘ESPN will close 3D sports network’

This week, ESPN announced it would be closing its 3D sports channel by the end of the year. In a statement, the network cited limited demand for 3D services, implying that the trend has been slow to take off with viewers. Following the announcement, ESPN’s chief technology officer Chuck Pagano suggested that 3D technology needs to be more user-friendly in order to be successful. In the meantime, the network says it plans to maintain a full standard broadcast line-up in place of 3D content on the channel.

Judge Rules That Movie Studio Should Have Been Paying Interns

For many, unpaid internships are seen as a key step towards landing full-time employment. This week, a federal judge in New York ruled in favor of two former Fox Searchlight Pictures interns who claim they should have been paid while interning for the production company in 2011. In the decision, the judge ruled that the internships did not promote an educational environment and the studio benefited from the work, both of which violate the Dept. of Labor’s unpaid internship regulations. While a 20th Century Fox spokesman announced the company would be appealing the ruling, Tuesday’s decision could potentially set precedent for others seeking compensation for unpaid internships.

U.K.’s Sun mocks Scientology with apology to alien life forms

Generally when a newspaper issues an apology, it’s a pretty big deal. The British newspaper ‘The Sun’ took an unusual approach this week when it published the following apology in regards to a weekend article:

“In an article on Saturday headlined ‘Flying saucers over British Scientology HQ,’ we stated “two flat silver discs” were seen “above the Church of Scientology HQ.” Following a letter from lawyers for the Church, we apologise to any alien life forms for linking them to Scientologists.”

The apology, which has since been picked up by Buzzfeed and ITV News, has also gained attention on social media, suggesting that in this case, the U.K. tabloid had the last laugh.

1. diamant painting

456049 386866I see something genuinely special in this internet web site . 19055

June 23, 2021 at 4:13 am | Reply
  2. Trent Hemingway

New information is similar to this information.

June 11, 2021 at 8:59 am | Reply
  3. Patty Vinz

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 9:28 am | Reply
  4. Rosario Victoria

I don't know the number of channels.

June 3, 2021 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  5. sex stuff for adults couples games

519227 540236Extremely efficiently written story. It is going to be valuable to anybody who employess it, including me. Keep up the good work – canr wait to read much more posts. 667651

March 31, 2021 at 2:02 am | Reply
  6. Institutional Repository

145198 96893Great post, thanks so a lot for sharing. Do you happen to have an RSS feed I can subscribe to? 141544

March 27, 2021 at 7:56 am | Reply
  7. what is dumps dumps

457066 179586Having read this I thought it was extremely informative. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this post together. I once once more discover myself spending method to considerably time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it! 968722

March 21, 2021 at 6:55 am | Reply
  8. restaurant playgrounds

playground equipment st petersburg fl

February 24, 2021 at 10:28 pm | Reply
  9. Ted Shealy

You must participate in a contest for probably the greatest blogs on the web. I will recommend this web site!

February 21, 2021 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  10. Honeywell Thermostat RTH7400 manuals

290306 899304Stay up the great work! 936592

January 23, 2021 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  11. replique rolex

581701 425835The subsequent time I read a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a good deal as this one. I mean, I know it was my option to read, but I truly thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear can be a bunch of whining about something which you possibly can repair really should you werent too busy on the lookout for attention. 979967

January 22, 2021 at 10:31 am | Reply
  12. ข่าวประชาสัมพันธ์

210955 833532Hi there, just became aware of your blog by way of Google, and found that its genuinely informative. Im gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate should you continue this in future. Lots of individuals will probably be benefited from your writing. Cheers! 597658

January 21, 2021 at 4:16 am | Reply
  13. wigs

361409 953827I discovered your website internet site online and check numerous of your early posts. Keep on the top notch operate. I just now additional your Feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking for forward to reading significantly more from you finding out later on! 874466

January 20, 2021 at 7:54 pm | Reply