December 8th, 2013

Ryan Seacrest: media Idol

By Brian Stelter, CNN

Ryan Seacrest has a few big decisions to make.

His contract to host "American Idol," once the biggest television show in the United States and still a linchpin of Fox's lineup, expires when the singing competition's next season ends in May. Another of his contracts, a wide-ranging one with NBCUniversal, comes due around the same time. Both are likely to be renewed in some form; the requisite talks are already underway. But the decisions in front of Seacrest — ones that any broadcaster would be glad to be facing — highlight how he's been able to work for so many competing media companies simultaneously. He recently extended his contract to host "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve" for ABC and he leads two radio shows for Clear Channel.

When I interviewed him for CNN's "Reliable Sources" last Friday and asked how he pulls off this pretty unique juggling act, he joked about making sure to always remember which network he's on at any given time: "When I'm on Fox, I want to remember 'Fox.'"

More seriously, he added, "I really believe that every single one of those partnerships is equally as important."

He carved out time for the interview during the Los Angeles portion of Jingle Ball, Clear Channel's annual concert series in cities across the country. Seacrest's deal with the radio giant, valued at $25 million a year, will come up for renewal in 2015, according to people with direct knowledge of the deal terms. (They insisted on anonymity while discussing private contract details.)

But his business relationships with Fox and NBC require more urgent reconsideration. When I asked him if he'll continue to host "Idol" after this season, which begins in January and ends in May, he said, "I hope to host as long as they want me to host."

Seacrest acknowledged his dissatisfaction with the sharp ratings declines that "Idol" has suffered, particularly in the season that ended last May.

"We obviously did not deliver … the numbers that we wanted to deliver," he said before asserting that he had lost slept over the relative weakness of the ratings.

Looking ahead to this season, which involves an almost entirely new team of producers and judges, he said, "I want people to watch, and I want people who perhaps didn't watch last season to come back and see their 'American Idol' this season because we have put the show back together in a fun way."

I also asked Seacrest about NBC's "Today" show, since his current deal with NBCUniversal includes a special correspondent role on the morning show. Around the time the deal was struck in the spring of 2012, there was informed speculation in the press about Seacrest being in line to someday replace Matt Lauer on "Today." Lauer asked Seacrest about his interest in the "Today" show during an April 2012 interview:

LAUER: Do you see yourself doing a job like this?
SEACREST: You know, I don't know. I see you doing this for as long as you want to, so maybe the question is, how long will you be on the 'Today' show? … Because fans, myself included, think you should be here for years to come.

Subsequently, Seacrest has said that Lauer should host the "Today" show for as long as he wants to. So I asked him if hosting "Today" was still a possibility, and he answered this way: "Look, I mean, as far as I'm concerned, everything is a - I hope everything is a possibility. You know, I like to leave every door open. If it is open, I think that's up to them to decide."

At the moment, the door is not open — Lauer has not telegraphed any plans to leave the show. But NBC executives are dutifully thinking about a "Today" show succession plan anyway. In the interview, I told Seacrest that I thought he might be "too big" for the "Today" show — because he has too many other jobs and business ventures — but he circled back to his interest in the possibility, citing his love for live broadcasting.

"I truly thrive off of being on-air or on-stage in a live environment," he said.

NBC tried to launch a live prime time game show, "Million Second Quiz," with Seacrest as the host earlier this fall. "Quiz" turned in disappointing ratings; postmortems focused on the overly complicated game-play. NBC executives said they were pleased with Seacrest's performance.

Posted by
Filed under: American Idol • Media • Media Criticism • NBC • Olympics • Ryan Seacrest
  1. CI CD Company

816557 790633Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been slightly bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent thought 774353

February 7, 2021 at 2:47 am | Reply
  2. Felton Flewelling

I truly enjoy studying on this site, it has good blog posts. "A short saying oft contains much wisdom." by Sophocles.

January 28, 2021 at 10:06 pm | Reply
  3. Thersa Alhambra

January 21, 2021 at 3:02 am | Reply
  4. Tony Liebold

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Really rarely can i encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the thing is an element that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. My business is very happy which i found this in my find some thing concerning this.

January 11, 2021 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  5. Eli Ilacqua

I was looking through some of your blog posts on this site and I believe this web site is very instructive! Retain putting up.

January 10, 2021 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  6. Tsernh56245afsdfsaf5621

learning to make a sandbox in 10 min's consisting of 10 money

If your infant or child is acquire, they are simply enthusiastic about soil and rub. my best daughter is three and a noticeably half and is quite prepared to sit with his sandbox for hours constructing forts charmdate review and just being. i live in a high-rise apartment on the ground my town thats got no garden landscape to a few designate, nevertheless a minute patio patio specifically where I regrow vegetable plants and additionally offers son warm reffers to as our "tent gemstone, So to supply him with more attempt then pick on offers shrubs I thought we would put surprisingly little beach on patio, you grasp the ones ones around 3 coins your dollar organize. this led to more than well watered seedlings which leapt a trickle out for you to were intimate with it. decided not to will be expecting all the more at the hands of 3 greenbacks anyhow, other than I thought we would turn it into something else handy.

prove to points out

NecessaryHubPages Device IDThis is used to be able to primary the forefox browser and / or maybe technology once the receive the company, And is used in safeguard causes. LoginThis is recommended to sign to the HubPages service. internet RecaptchaThis is needed to not have bots moreover trash. (privacy policy)AkismetThis can be to specify idea spammy posts. (policy)HubPages the search engine AnalyticsThis may be to offer info to people to our business, All by myself identifyable data is anonymized. (online privacy policy)Hubpages of content Traffic PixelThis used to gather statistics directly on targeted traffic to content articles effectively as other particularly web page. unless you are brought in in to a HubPages credit account, All personally identifiable information is anonymized. the amazon online marketplace web site providerThis is truly a cloud stand that use to hosting company your service. (privacy)cloudflareThis typically they CDN service application well to deliver formats important for in order to our comparable to operate javascript, cascading down system bed sheets, illustrations, with video clips. (online privacy policy)aspectsGoogle shopp SearchThis definitely permits you to the place search. (online privacy policy)the net routesSome information 've got a part of them. (privacy)let's consider google adsense throw APIThis companies enables you to sign up for or assistant a subscription thanks to HubPages, so you're able to make money using promotion with regards to your documents. merely data is shown if you don't build relationships this possess. (policy)lookup YouTubeSome stories posses YouTube dvds a part of them. (privacy)VimeoSome blogs have now Vimeo coaching baked into them. simply info is shared with Paypal unless you build relationships this functionality. (online privacy policy)zynga LoginYou can use this which will reduces costs of registering to, as well as deciding upon in on your Hubpages levels. never any information is shared with tagged if you can't build relationships this component. (policy)expertThis supports the widget on top of that examine functioning. (policy)MarketingGoogle AdSenseThis is an advert 'network '. (policy)search engine DoubleClickprovides amount ad research in addition to the is an advert core. (privacy policy)list ExchangeThis is an ad mlm. (privacy policy)SovrnThis is an advert link. (privacy)bebo AdsThis is an ad group. (online privacy policy)ebay single Ad MarketplaceThis is an advert computer network. (policy)AppNexusThis is an advert system. (online privacy policy)OpenxThis is an ad group. (online privacy policy)Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad online circle. (online privacy policy)TripleLiftThis is an ad service. (policy)pronounce mediumWe friend considering to supply deal offers on to each world-wide-web. (privacy policy)Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels ranging from proving networking sites say like,resembling ppc, ask ads, since the facebook in order to market the actual HubPages plan to people that have been to our new websites. remodeling pursuing PixelsWe could use from services pixels networking systems just like for example ppc, aol listings, and moreover facebook itself in a position identify since an advert gives proficiently resulted in the desired guidelines, something like subscribing to the HubPages service or distributing a guide the actual market HubPages. (online privacy policy)ComscoreComScore can be a new media statistic and analytics insurance company bestowing system web data regarding associations, videos and furthermore business agencies, but also authors. non agree will result in ComScore at best operating obfuscated emotional hard drive. (policy)amazon. com visitor PixelSome posts video display equipment within the affiliate network, the item pixel provide you with web page visitors statistics for these remedies (policy)ClickscoThis is seen as a detail handle proposal discovering book lover actions (policy).

December 7, 2020 at 11:05 am | Reply
  7. Tuan Handkins

Read book then saw the movie.

December 21, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  8. Frank Absher

I truly hope this was a one-time mistake. What a waste of time on a lightweight, unimportant subject. Please avoid this pap in the future and give us thought-provoking, intelligent material. I think we, as viewers, deserve that kind of respect.

December 10, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  9. Carlotta shelley

Just what I watch the show for, more about Ryan Seacrest . Thankful I record the show every week and was able to skip the entire interview. Not exactly what I want to see and hear.

December 8, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Reply