December 21st, 2013

'PR exec's AIDS in Africa tweet upsets Internet'

By Brian Stelter, CNN

(CNN) - Before Justine Sacco took off for Cape Town, South Africa, on Friday, she tweeted: "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!"

By the time she landed 12 hours later, the message had been magnified by a social media mob and Sacco's employer, IAC/InterActiveCorp, had distanced itself from her. On Saturday her Twitter account disappeared and neither Sacco nor IAC had anything more to say — perhaps disappointing the many angry Twitter users who were expecting her to be fired on the spot.

The incident — Boing Boing called it "the tweet heard round the world" — was a glaring reminder that every word uttered on the Internet can be heard by seemingly everyone on the Internet, sometimes with serious consequences.

Read more of Brian's article online here.

Posted by
Filed under: Reliable Sources
  1. sex and the city reboot cast

627683 732006Woh I like your content , saved to bookmarks ! . 183741

March 31, 2021 at 7:36 am | Reply
  2. 토토사이트

210985 600538I dont feel Ive seen all the angles of this subject the way youve pointed them out. Youre a true star, a rock star man. Youve got so much to say and know so significantly about the subject that I think you ought to just teach a class about it 10113

March 21, 2021 at 10:40 pm | Reply
  3. Danny Rainbott

Good post. I be taught one thing more challenging on totally different blogs everyday. It'll at all times be stimulating to read content material from other writers and follow just a little something from their store. I’d choose to use some with the content on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

February 21, 2021 at 11:23 am | Reply
  4. DevSecOps solutions

374061 926518This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool! 670768

February 17, 2021 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  5. agile & DevOps services

401110 593717I needs to spend some time studying more or figuring out more. Thank you for wonderful information I was searching for this info for my mission. 256092

February 5, 2021 at 2:25 pm | Reply
  6. Ollie Cinotti

But wanna comment that you have a very decent web site , I love the layout it actually stands out.

January 28, 2021 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  7. Willian Ringus

Definitely,Chilly place! We stumbled on the cover and I’m your own representative. limewire limewire

January 12, 2021 at 12:25 am | Reply
  8. WJC

On the pedophile special, right Brian? 🙂

December 6, 2016 at 10:46 pm | Reply
  9. burkyii

"Just Kidding" ! What is she, besides being stupid, a closet pedophile?

December 23, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Reply