February 9th, 2014

Christiane Amanpour on Egypt’s crackdown on journalists

Above: With Al Jazeera journalists imprisoned in Egypt and new charges that 20 journalists have aided terrorists, CNN chief international correspondent Christiane Amanpour explains why people everywhere should be outraged.

(Last Tuesday, Amanpour covered the situation on her CNN International program.)

Here's the transcript of her comments on "Reliable Sources:"

STELTER: The head of Al Jazeera English says that this current situation is a threat to journalism itself. Do you agree it's that serious?

AMANPOUR: I really do agree. I mean, look, we have an unprecedented number of journalists in Egypt, foreign and domestic, who have been charged with - get this - terrorism. I mean, give me a break. It is the last refuge of an authoritarian dictatorial regime, whether it's in Egypt or wherever it is, who simply doesn't want the truth told.

And what's happening in Egypt is that journalists, whether they be from Al Jazeera, CNN, BBC or, indeed, Egyptian journalists, are being forced into partisan positions. If you do not follow slavishly the military government line in Egypt, you are deemed a terrorist.

If you try to be objective in your coverage, you are deemed a terrorist. I mean, it is terrible what's happening there. It is silencing the truth.

STELTER: Well, to hear charges of aiding terrorists you know, in Egypt, that must have a chilling effect on the journalists who are still there trying to cover that story.

AMANPOUR: Precisely, and that's why you've seen very little objective, truthful journalism coming out of there. As I said, people are being forced into camps. I said two camps, but, actually, it's really one camp right now. People are being forced to take sides in order to be safe and not to go to prison. And, wherever you look, journalists are in the cross-hairs more than I have ever experienced, ever in my career.

STELTER: For viewers at home who don't think about this stuff all the time, why does it matter that the journalists are in the cross-hairs?

AMANPOUR: Well, it matters a lot because, although we may be viewed as pesky, unwelcome intruders, whether in - in Western democracies or in dictatorships, we are the people who go out there with a mission to tell the truth. It is actually as simple as that. We are the people who go out there and uncover corruption, uncover injustice, and try to tell the world what's going on. We are the eyes and ears, the eyewitnesses to what's going on in the world at the time.

STELTER: One of the Al Jazeera journalists who is in prison right now in Egypt - he used to work here at CNN, Mohamed Fahmy - did you ever cross paths with him?

AMANPOUR: Yes, I did. He's done a lot of producing work for me, for my program, as well as when I was on the ground - on the ground in Egypt.

And again, for 38 days, he was held in jail, along with some of the others, and was not charged - no access to family or lawyers. He apparently has an injury in his shoulder, and he has not been able to even have any medical care.

I mean, by any standards, this is a violation of every law and of all decency. And this is just a journalist. It is not somebody who's out there with a weapon other than his camera and his pencil. And it is just utterly unacceptable, and these people must be released. And our governments, particularly those who have major dealings with Egypt and upon whom Egypt relies, ought to be reading the Egyptian authorities the riot act over this.

STELTER: Christiane, thank you for putting the spotlight on this for us.

AMANPOUR: Thanks, Brian. Thank you.

Filed under: Al Jazeera • Blog • Egypt • Reliable Sources
  1. Mint Juul Pods

792223 982579I saw a lot of web site but I believe this 1 contains something unique in it in it 676299

April 12, 2021 at 7:57 am | Reply
  2. swiss watches replicas

795259 921217Thanks for some other great post. Where else may just anyone get that type of info in such an perfect indicates of writing? Ive a presentation next week, and Im at the search for such info. 477129

April 7, 2021 at 4:56 pm | Reply
  3. knock off watches

486708 254349Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to check it out. Im certainly loving the data. Im book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding weblog and great design and style. 841885

April 2, 2021 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  4. Steve Lowcks

March 7, 2021 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  5. Octavio Heatley

March 6, 2021 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  6. Clotilde Gevara

March 6, 2021 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  7. Raquel Bogdon

Needed to draft you a bit of note so as to thank you so much yet again for all the extraordinary solutions you have contributed on this website. This is quite remarkably open-handed of people like you to present without restraint all many individuals would have advertised for an ebook to earn some dough for their own end, notably considering the fact that you might well have done it if you decided. Those tricks in addition acted to become good way to be sure that the rest have the same zeal really like mine to grasp a good deal more when it comes to this issue. I believe there are numerous more pleasant periods ahead for people who take a look at your blog post.

March 4, 2021 at 9:39 am | Reply
  8. residential playground equipment

play equipment costco

February 24, 2021 at 10:11 pm | Reply
  9. Wava Tumbleson

Can I just say what a aid to find someone who truly is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to convey an issue to light and make it important. More people have to read this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more common because you positively have the gift.

February 21, 2021 at 10:58 am | Reply
  10. CICD

916771 775284The Twitter application page will open. This is good if youve got several thousand followers, but as you get a lot more and more the usefulness of this tool is downgraded. 713569

February 16, 2021 at 10:33 am | Reply
  11. roofer Tamiami

760685 292060I enjoy what you guys are generally up too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the extremely good works guys Ive added you guys to blogroll. 650590

February 15, 2021 at 2:56 am | Reply
  12. Tameka Shall

January 28, 2021 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  13. Lloyd Crebs

Nice post. I discover some thing more challenging on diverse blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to study content from other writers and use a little something from their site. I’d opt to use some with all the content on my small weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a link on the internet blog. Many thanks for sharing.

January 12, 2021 at 2:13 am | Reply
  14. Jesus Bazer

saw your post on google and checked out a small number of of your early posts. Continue with the very good articles. Ill probably be by again to read more, thanks for the info! If you have a opportunity check out my site. It's a work in progress, but I presume that someday it will have almost as good of substance as yours. <a href="https://soundcloud.com/renaissancechurch/2020-vision-the-missional-mandate-kelly-kosky-11220

December 3, 2020 at 5:12 am | Reply